Semester Exchange

Spend a semester or a whole year living and studying overseas, where you will broaden your global outlook, enhance your intercultural awareness, and create lasting professional and personal networks.

With a choice of more than 50 Exchange partner universities in 20 countries across Europe, Asia and North America, you have the opportunity to explore places and countries where you have never been before.

Check your eligibility

  • Undergraduate students

    You can apply for exchange from your second semester at Murdoch.

    To go on exchange you need to have completed one year (24 credit points) of full-time study in your current course. Advanced standing can be taken into account on a case-by-case basis – a previous Academic Transcript may be requested.

    You may be eligible for exchange if:

    • you are a Murdoch University (Australia) student (domestic or international)
    • you have passed all classes the semester before you go on Exchange
    • you have a GPA of 2.0 (credit average) – please note that many of our partner universities will only accept a GPA of 2.5 or above. You find your GPA in MyInfo under Course Details > Course & Unit Details > Course Progress Summary
    • you will be a good ambassador for Murdoch University and WA.
    Students in Chiropractic, Psychology and Education are advised to speak to their academic chair to check accreditation requirements and course structure.
  • Postgraduate students

    Unfortunately most of our Exchange Partner universities only accept undergraduate students. In addition, it can be difficult to find suitable units abroad, that you can get credit for. However going on Exchange during a Master's degree is possible, but has its limitation. Contact us to find out more.

  • Ineligible students

    The following students are not eligible to apply for Exchange:

    • Students in Veterinary Science and Nursing (due to the accreditation requirements of their course)
    • Australia Award Students
    • Open Universities Australia-enrolled students
    • Murdoch Dubai and Singapore students.

Where you can study

Where in the world will you study? Tailor your Exchange experience by choosing the country, university and units that suit your needs.

Which countries and cultures interests you? Do you want to study in an English-speaking country? Does a winter experience excite you? Is your preference a big city or a small town? What is your budget? How high is the cost for on- and off-accommodation and living expenses in your desired destination?

Do you prefer a big or small university? What units are offered in English? Are you interested in learning a second language and taking units about the local culture and history? Do you want to study your core units or general electives abroad?

All universities offer a range of units in English so there’s no need to learn a second language. It is common however for students that study in non-English speaking countries to take a local language unit.

We recommend saving your general electives for your time on Exchange, as they provide the most flexibility for where and what you can study.

Browse the units offered by your preferred universities and select those you think could be suitable as credit towards your Murdoch course. You’ll need to be flexible and have multiple units to choose from, as we cannot guarantee enrolment in specific units at your host university. Speak to your academic chair about how units can provide credit towards your Murdoch degree.

Our partner universities are located in the northern hemisphere and their academic year starts in September/October (Fall semester). You can study for a maximum of two semesters on Exchange, unless you are applying for universities in Canada, where Exchange is limited to one semester due to demand.

Exchange partners by country

Ready to go on Exchange?

Apply Online
Jasmine with friends in Hong Kong
To anyone still considering going on Exchange: GO! It’s honestly one of the best, if not the best, experiences. Jasmine – Exchange to the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong