At Murdoch, you can apply for a postgraduate research degree throughout the year. If your degree involves a standalone research project (such as a PhD), you'll be able to commence at any time of year. If your degree includes coursework, you’ll need to commence at the beginning of semester.

Before you apply to complete a research degree, please ensure that:


How to apply

1. Complete the application with documentation

  • Your application needs to include original or certified copies of your supporting documentation, and all must be uploaded via myAdmission. Applications must include a Curriculum Vitae, Research Proposal and Referee reports. Further details of the requirements are outlined below. 

If you’re applying as a domestic student, you’ll need to provide: 

  • original or certified copies of your academic transcripts and certificates 

  • a certified copy of your Australian passport or birth certificate (if born in Australia), or a certified copy of your Australian passport, Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Australian/New Zealand Citizenship (if born overseas) 


If you’re applying as an international student, you’ll need to provide: 

  • original or certified copies of your academic transcripts and certificates, including keys to the grading system used (if obtained overseas) and a certified English translation (if not already in English) 
  • a certified copy of your passport or birth certificate  

  • a certified copy of your English test scores (if applicable) to demonstrate  English language proficiency 


When you arrive in Perth, you can provide your original documentation to our Graduate Research Office. Our Graduate Research Office can certify your documents for our internal use only. 

If any of your transcripts or certificates are in former name, you'll need a certified copy of your marriage certificate or evidence of a legal change of name. 


2. Outline your work and research experience

Please include a copy of your latest curriculum vitae (CV) with your application.

If you don't have an honours degree (and aren’t completing an honours degree in the current year), you'll need to provide evidence in relation to other criteria, such as:

  • evidence of a major thesis (of approximately 6 months duration)
  • evidence of research experience that may be equivalent to a major thesis
  • examiners’ reports of any dissertation or thesis
  • evidence of any merit honours
  • evidence of fellowship or professional memberships
  • a list of any publications, including work that you have done individually or with others. You should include the title, authorship (indicate your contribution, if it is a joint publication), type of publication (e.g. journal article, conference paper, performance, website), whether it is an academically refereed publication, and how the item contributes to your proposed thesis.

These criteria don't always apply to art, design or other performance-based programs. You could instead clearly outline and explain your role in international or national programs, such as exhibitions, performances or productions.

3. Contact your referees

Depending on the type of research degree you're applying for, you need to ask either academic and/or professional referees to provide us with a statement outlining your suitability for admission to the degree. Your referees should preferably be senior academics that are familiar with your most recent work and in a position to comment on your future potential for research and contribution to your area of interest.

Please forward the relevant form below to your nominated referees:

This document is strictly confidential – each referee should send the completed form directly to the Graduate Research Office. The referee reports must be received by our Graduate Research Office before your application deadline, so make sure to allow plenty of time to complete this step.

Exceptions and alternatives for referees

If you're applying for a combined Master of Applied Psychology and PhD, your referees will instead need to be submitted here.

If you're applying for a Doctor of Psychology, you only need to list your referees in your application, rather than ask them to provide reports.

If you're applying for a Master of Education – Research, referee reports are also not required.

4. Submit your application

Submit your application form, curriculum vitae, research proposal and supporting documents.

If you've had candidature in the past four years, please complete the  Previous Candidature Declaration form below

Submit to myAdmission



If you have any pending results from recently completed studies (such as your honours thesis), please send us your official transcripts as soon as they become available:

Graduate Research Office

Building 512 (8.30am–4.30pm, Mon–Fri)

Murdoch University
90 South Street
Murdoch WA 6150

+61 8 9360 6927