You need to have health cover before you can apply for a student visa. Your insurance needs to be valid for the entire time you are in Australia. Unless your country has an insurance arrangement in place, you will need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to be covered for your stay in Australia.
If you are a student from Belgium, Norway or Sweden, you may be covered by your country's insurance schemes.
How to get OSHC
At Murdoch University, our preferred provider is Allianz Care Australia. You can also find OSHC through other providers.
To buy OSHC from Allianz Care Australia:
- You need to apply and be accepted into your Murdoch University course first.
- Pay the fee indicated in your Offer of Enrolment letter to us.
- We will forward the payment to Allianz Care Australia.
- Once all fees have been paid, we will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter which you can use to apply for your student visa.
Your OSHC cover will begin as soon as you arrive in Australia.
Allianz Care Australia OSHC offers International Students cover for hospital admissions, ambulance, as well as some cover for specialists, tests and prescription medicines. Students who purchase Allianz Care OSHC also get the following benefits:
- No waiting period for pregnancy-related services and treatment of pre-existing mental health related conditions for our OSHC Essentials policy
- Access to Allianz Care Australia Telehealth Services - powered by Doctors on Demand
- Allianz Care Australia Safety Services – powered by Sonder
- 24/7 emergency and medical assistance via our helpline
- Face-to-face support in dozens of locations across Australia (subject to COVID-19 regulations)
Find out more about Overseas Student Health Cover here.
Types of insurance cover
Overseas Student Health Cover is available for you as a single student or for you and your family.
|Type of cover||Coverage|
|Single||Covers you as the overseas student.|
|Dual-family||Covers you as the overseas student and either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, or one or more children or step-children under the age of 18 years who are not married.|
|Multi-family||Covers you as the overseas student and more than one dependant, which can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner and one or more dependent children.|
If you need medical help in Australia
If you experience a medical emergency while you are here, please call 000 for an ambulance.
"If you need to see a doctor for any reason, you will need to show that you have OSHC. If you get your insurance with Allianz Care Australia, you can access your eMembership card by logging into your account via the Allianz MyHealth portal.
Please be aware that OSHC doesn't cover pre-existing conditions or extras such as physiotherapy, dental, optical or chiropractic treatments.
The Student Centre will also be able to help you with any queries you have about your OSHC while you are studying.