You will need a student visa to study in Australia if you are not an Australian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident. Here is a guide to the steps you need to take and the documents you will need.

You need to apply for your university course first

Before you can apply for a student visa, you need to apply to study a registered course at Murdoch University. You can apply for any course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS), which includes most of our courses. You can:

  1. Find a course to suit your interests and career goals.
  2. Apply online for your course.
  3. If your application is successful, you will receive an Offer of Admission. You need to accept your place at Murdoch University by returning your completed acceptance letter with one semester’s fees and the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) fee for the duration of the visa you will need.

Once you have followed these steps, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment letter. You will need this to apply for a student visa at your nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission.

Explore our courses

How to apply for your student visa

When you have been accepted into your course, you can then apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a student visa. To apply for a visa you will need:

  • A copy of your Offer of Enrolment letter
  • A copy of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover payment
  • Passport
  • Passport photographs
  • Medical clearance
  • Other documents relating to any other visa eligibility requirement as requested by Department of Home Affairs

The application process and the type of visa you can apply for will depend on your nationality and the level of the course you wish to study. You may need to satisfy other financial, health, insurance and language skill requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs.

If you're applying to Murdoch through an agent, they will assist with your visa application and you should contact them for further advice.

The guidelines for international students studying in Australia and the responsibilities of education institutions are outlined in the Commonwealth Government’s Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act and the National Code. More information is available from the Department of Education and Training website or by emailing

Learn more about applying for a student visa

If you are a temporary resident

If you are a temporary resident and want to study at Murdoch, you would not be classed as a domestic or international student. This is because:

  • As a temporary resident you will need to pay international student tuition fees.
  • Your visa generally would not include study rights (for example, a bridging visa or graduate visa).

To apply to study on a temporary resident visa, you can either apply online directly or apply through one of our Murdoch University education agents in your country.

Learn how to apply online