Overseas student health cover
You need to have health cover before you can apply for a student visa. Your insurance needs to be valid for the entire time you are in Australia.
How to get Overseas Student Health Cover
Unless your country has an insurance arrangement in place, you will need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to be covered for your stay in Australia. At Murdoch University, our preferred provider is Allianz Global Assistance. You can also find OSHC through other providers.
To buy OSHC from Allianz Global Assistance:
- You need to apply and be accepted into your Murdoch University course first.
- Pay the fee indicated in your Offer of Enrolment letter to us.
- We will forward the payment to Allianz Global Assistance.
- Once all fees have been paid, we will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter which you can use to apply for your student visa.
Your OSHC cover will begin as soon as you arrive in Australia.
For more information about Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), please visit their website.
Review the types of insurance cover
Overseas Student Health Cover is available for you as a single student or for you and your family. Check out this summary of the Essentials OSHC policy.
|Type of Cover||Coverage|
|Single||Covers you as the overseas student.|
|Dual-family||Covers you as the overseas student and either one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner, or one or more children or step-children under the age of 18 years who are not married.|
|Multi-family||Covers you as the overseas student and more than one dependant, which can only include one adult spouse or recognised de facto partner and one or more dependent children.|
Documents you may need
If you need medical help while you are in Australia
If you experience a medical emergency while you are here, please call 000 for an ambulance.
If you need to see a doctor for any reason, you will need to show that you have Overseas Student Health Cover. If you get your insurance with Allianz Global Assistance, you will be given an Allianz Global Assistance card which you need to present to your doctor when you seek medical treatment.
Please be aware that OSHC doesn't cover pre-existing conditions or extras such as physiotherapy, dental, optical or chiropractic treatments.
The Student Centre will also be able to help you with any queries you have about your OSHC while you are studying.
Find out if you do NOT need Overseas Student Health Cover
Your country may have an insurance arrangement in place that means you are already covered for your stay in Australia. You may not need Overseas Student Health Cover if you are:
- A Belgian student – you are covered by a reciprocal agreement between the Australian and Belgian governments.
- A Norwegian student – you are covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.
- A Swedish student – you are covered by Centrala studiestodsnamnden (CSN).
- A temporary resident