Portfolio entry pathway
If you’re ready to pursue your university goals but don’t currently meet our standard admission requirements, our Portfolio Entry Pathway could be the ideal option for you.
Whether you’re a school leaver or a non-school leaver, you have an opportunity to gain entry based on your demonstrated aptitude, motivation, commitment and experience in areas related to your chosen Murdoch course.
We offer a wide range of courses that are eligible for portfolio entry. Download the PDF to see the options available.
If you’re applying for our Media courses, you need to submit a digital portfolio of related works for assessment by an Academic Chair. Learn more about our Media Portfolio Pathway.
All Media Portfolios are required to be hosted digitally. We are unable to accept hard copy portfolios.
Who can apply for portfolio entry?
Both school leavers and mature age applicants can apply for portfolio entry.
If you’re a school leaver, you can demonstrate your eligibility through your final year 12 subject results and/or extra-curricular activities in an area directly related to your desired course.
For mature age applicants, eligibility can be evidenced by relevant life experience, employment, any formal qualifications or awards, and supporting professional references, directly related to your desired course.
All portfolio applicants need to demonstrate Murdoch’s minimum English language competency (ELC) requirements to qualify for entry.
High school leavers
- Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) or equivalent from interstate.
- Strong pass in at least one ATAR level subject directly related to the desired course of study, or significant demonstrated ability, learning and motivation via extra-curricular activities directly related to your desired course.
- ELC demonstrated by: a scaled score of 50 in an ATAR level English, Literature or EALD a letter grade of B in General English, Literature or EALD, or a score of at least 140 in the Written English component of the STAT.
- A letter of endorsement from your school.
Portfolio application requirements
- Completed application form, including a personal statement
- Completed school endorsement form
- Year 12 Semester 1 report (note: due to disruption created by COVID-19, end of Year 11 reports from 2019 will be accepted for applications for 2021 entry)
- Other supporting references for extracurricular activity related to your desired area of study (eg: clubs, employment, work experience).
If your application has been assessed as being eligible for the portfolio entry pathway, Admissions will issue you with a Conditional Offer.
Your conditional offer will be pending your final Yr 12 results demonstrating the successful completion of the WACE, meeting ELC, and a pass in a cognate ATAR subject or endorsed ability via out of school activity. Meeting these requirements will enable conversion to an unconditional offer. The Admissions team will be able to access end of year ATAR results online.
If you are unable to demonstrate ELC via your secondary school results, you may consider sitting the written English component of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). As the STAT is ordinarily for applicants over 20 years of age, school leavers will need to request permission to sit the test. Download the STAT English Permission Form and return to DomesticAdmissions@murdoch.edu.au. School leavers will have access to the STAT on completion of the Yr12 academic year.
Non school leavers
- Demonstration of English language competency (ELC)
- Evidence of ability and aptitude via relevant life and work experience (3-5 years), accredited courses, and supporting professional references.
Portfolio application requirements
- Completed application form including a personal statement outlining your interest, commitment and preparedness to study
- Evidence of English language competency
- Two professional references in support of your application
- Other supporting documentation (eg: related course certificates, awards)
If your application is assessed as being eligible for the portfolio entry pathway, you will receive an offer. Please note that an interview may be required to complete your application assessment.
If you are unable to demonstrate ELC via your secondary school results, you may consider sitting the written English component of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). A score of 140 is required to meet entry for Portfolio Entry applicants. You can access the STAT test from May to February.
Learn more about the STAT
Ready to join us? Applications are made directly to Murdoch, so there is no requirement to apply through TISC. Follow these simple steps to get your university journey started.
- Read through eligibility and portfolio application requirements.
- Complete the portfolio application form and all supporting documentation. Ensure you have it ready for uploading at Step 9 of the online application process.
- Apply direct to Murdoch by submitting your application online.