If you are excelling at school in one or more ATAR subjects and think law might be for you, apply for entry through our Law Start programme.
Law Start is an admission pathway for academically capable students who wish to study law at Murdoch. The pathway comprises of a one-day workshop, followed by a written assessment.
The written assessment tests your ability and aptitude for studying law and is used as a basis for admission, instead of your overall ATAR score or selection rank.
To be eligible for Law Start, there are a few of things to consider, including:
- completing one or more ATAR subjects with a strong focus on communication and essay writing skills. Acceptable subjects will include but not limited to English, English Literature, Modern History, Politics and Legal Studies.
- receiving at least 70% in one of your subjects in your most recent Year 12 report.
- being able to attend and participate in a workshop at Murdoch Law School on Thursday 7 December 2020 from 10am - 3pm and complete a written assessment at the end of that workshop.
- nominating law or a combined law degree at Murdoch as your first TISC preference. Courses that fit these criteria include:
How to apply
Applying for Law Start can be done through TISC. Once you have your TISC application number, you will need to gather the below documentation to submit with your application:
- a completed cover sheet
- a personal statement – with a maximum of 500 words outlining why you want to study law, your experience and personal achievements.
- other supporting documentation, including:
- your Semester Two Year 11 report
- your Semester One Year 12 report
- optional: a one-page document listing contributions you have made to your school community
- optional: any certificates or prizes received in Years 10, 11 or 12.
All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are now open and close on Sunday 22 November 2020.
If your application to Law Start is successful, you will need to:
- attend and participate in a mandatory workshop on Thursday 7 December 2020 from 10am - 3pm at Murdoch Law School
- successfully complete a written assessment to a high standard at the end of the workshop.
After successfully completing the above criteria, you may receive a formal offer at Murdoch Law School during the first round TISC offers, providing:
- a Murdoch Law or Murdoch Law combined degree remains as your first TISC preference
- completion of the WA Certificate of Education with satisfactory English language competency requirements for university entry.
For more information, email us.