This page is kept up to date with the latest advice and information.

Prioritising the health, safety and well-being of our staff, students and community will continue to guide all the University’s decision-making, consistent with the latest government advice.

Staff and students are encouraged to check their emails for the latest updates and monitor the Murdoch University website, intranet and student portal.

In light of the Department of Health discontinuing publishing exposure locations and not requiring people to scan in to most locations using the ServiceWA app, Murdoch University has stopped publishing exposure locations at the University.


Everything you need to know about health, your studies and the support available to you.


Guidance and information about your health, teaching and working off campus.

Find out more

Two researchers working in a laboratory.

COVID-19 research

Discover our COVID-19 Critical Research Programme.

Learn more

Frequently asked questions

Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations

Murdoch does not need to, and will not, accept liability for properly applying directions under the Public Health Act, whether in respect of students or staff. This includes requiring that a student meet the requirements of such directions as a condition of undertaking a placement.

Murdoch will have no liability to any student who fails to complete their course due to: (a) a placement being a required component of the course; and (b) the student not being able to undertake that placement due to the student’s non-compliance with a direction made under the Public Health Act.

No. The applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements apply unless the student has an exemption. The public health directions provide no amnesty for the period between applying for an exemption and being informed of the outcome.

Students who wish to lodge a formal complaint are referred to this information.

International students

MyGov account

If you’re not eligible for Medicare, you can get your immunisation history statement online through myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account, it’s easy to create one; you do not need any points of identification to create a myGov account.

Individual Healthcare Identifier

Having an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) will enable you to easily access and link your COVID-19 vaccination status to your MyGov account. The quickest way to get an IHI is online through your myGov account. You’ll need your passport with a valid Australian visa to verify your identity.

Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)

You should automatically be registered for a profile on the AIR once you obtain an Individual Healthcare Identifier.

To get your immunisation history statement, link the Individual Healthcare Identifier service (IHI service) to your myGov account.

Once you’ve linked the IHI service:

  1. sign in to your myGov account
  2. select the Proof of COVID-19 vaccination quick link
  3. select your name, and then either View immunisation history statement (PDF) or View COVID-19 digital certificate (PDF).

Support to transfer overseas COVID-19 certificate to AIR:

Your overseas COVID-19 vaccinations will need to be uploaded manually to the AIR; only a health professional can do this on your behalf. Murdoch University Medical Centre can complete this for you. Please call 08 9360 2293 and make an appointment to see a nurse. You will need the original certificate evidencing your overseas COVID-19 vaccinations and your passport.

Murdoch University Medical Service are able to administer COVID-19 Vaccinations to non Medicare card holders, this also extends to International Student Family members 18 years and over. To book an appointment call 9360 2293 or book online.

Additionally State run vaccine centres can administer COVID-19 vaccinations to non Medicare card holders. See See for bookings.

COVID-19 symptoms, which indicate the need for testing, include:

  • fever (≥37.50C) or recent history of fever (e.g., night sweats, chills), without a known source,
  • OR acute respiratory symptoms (including cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose)
  • OR acute loss of smell or taste
  • OR a positive or inconclusive rapid antigen test result.

Other reported symptoms of COVID-19 include fatigue, headache, runny nose, acute blocked nose (congestion), muscle pain, joint pain, diarrhoea, nausea/vomiting, and loss of appetite. Clinical and public health judgment should be used to determine if individuals with sudden and unexplained onset of one or more of these other symptoms should be considered suspect cases.

If you become unwell with any of the above symptoms, you can:

  • present to a COVID-19 clinic
  • present to a GP Respiratory Clinic
  • complete a self-collected rapid antigen test (RAT)
  • contact Western Australia’s COVID-19 Information Helpline on 132 6843
  • contact the National Coronavirus Helpline for advice on 1800 020 080
  • call Murdoch University Medical Centre for advice on 08 9360 2293 (Mon–Fri, 8.30am–4pm).

Self-collected RATs are considered diagnostic of COVID-19 and people who test positive on a RAT can record their positive test on the Healthy WA website.

If you test positive to COVID-19 whilst in Australia, you will be supported by the Western Australian Government’s public health team and Murdoch University. Learn more about what to do if you have COVID-19.

If you have a positive COVID-19 test, you can register for at-home support.

Having a medical kit ready is a great idea in case you contract COVID-19 whilst in Australia. Learn more about what to include in your at-home medical kit.

Australian Government approved vaccinated international students will be allowed into Western Australia without the need to quarantine.

All travellers will need to take a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 12 hours of arrival and report any positive result. This requirement is subject to ongoing review.

They must have a registered G2G Pass.

The State Government has further information to assist international students seeking to travel to Western Australia.

Murdoch will continue to provide online classes and support for those who are unable to commence or resume their studies on campus in Perth, until such time as travel is reasonably possible.

Airlines are expected to require passengers on international flights to be fully vaccinated at the time of travel with a vaccine approved or recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

Similarly, only students who are fully vaccinated with a TGA-recognised vaccine will be eligible to enter WA – this is to help protect the WA community and the students themselves.

Currently, the Australian Government requires international travellers to return a negative COVID-19 PCR test 72 hours prior to departure.

To qualify as fully vaccinated, you need to have received the recommended schedule of doses of a vaccine that Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has approved or recognised.

A list of vaccines currently recognised and approved in Australia can be found online.

Only students who are fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) are eligible to enter Western Australia.

No, you are required to get double vaccinated.

You will find advice on how to provide evidence of your vaccination on the WA COVID-19 website.

No, the WA Government has announced that since 3 March 2022 Australian Government approved vaccinated international students will be allowed into Western Australia without the need to quarantine.

  • Ensure you are fully vaccinated with a TGA-approved vaccine.
  • Ensure you have a valid student visa.
  • Contact your travel agent and start looking into their travel arrangements to Western Australia. WA Gov has appointed travel management company TASA to assist with travel arrangements if needed. Direct contact Terrel Ramsay by email to:
  • Understand your local COVID-19 testing arrangements.
  • Understand how to get a G2G pass.
  • All passengers arriving by air into Australia should complete an Australia Travel Declaration (ATD) at least 72 hours before departure.

If you secure approval to travel to Western Australia, please notify the International Office by filling out the Returning to Perth webform.

Once you have arranged travel to Perth, you can apply for a G2G Pass.

You will need to show airline staff your International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC). The ICVC will be provided for you to print or hold electronically on your phone.

You will also need a valid visa to travel to Western Australia. You can refer to the Department of Home Affairs for more information regarding Vaccinated Travellers.

You can upload your CoE as proof of current student status.

Yes, you will need to hold a valid student visa to enter Australia. You can check your current visa status and the expiry date through VEVO or your ImmiAccount. You can also use your ImmiAccount to apply for a new visa if your visa has already expired or is close to expiring. For further information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Yes, you can.

Only those who obtain a valid G2G Pass will be permitted to travel to Western Australia.

The Western Australian Government has engaged a travel provider who can assist with return travel arrangements. If you have a query on how to engage their services, please contact

All costs associated with travel will be borne by returning current and commencing international students, as has always been the case.

Murdoch have resumed on-campus learning, including tutorials, workshops, libraries, and practical requirements with COVID-safe arrangements.

International students are required to have health insurance. To provide further reassurance and to support the WA health response to COVID-19, the Minister for Health has confirmed that people who are not eligible for Medicare and who present to WA Health facilities for assessment in relation to COVID-19 infection will not be charged out-of-pocket expenses.

Health advice

If any students are concerned about a family member or loved one who has been informed by health authorities that they may have COVID-19 and you are feeling distressed or concerned and require support, please contact Murdoch University Counselling Service on +61 8 9360 1227.

Medical questions can be directed to the Murdoch University Medical Service on +61 8 9360 2293. Service information, contact details and instructions on how to make an appointment are provided in the MurdochSafe app.

Information about COVID-19, its symptoms and preventative measures that can be taken are available on the Federal Government’s Department of Health website.

COVID-19 advice specifically related to students is available on the student announcements portal.

COVID-19 advice specifically related to staff is available on the staff intranet.

Face masks are currently mandated in public indoor settings in Western Australia. You are required to wear a face mask inside Murdoch University buildings unless you are exempt based on the reasons supplied by WA Health. More information on our approach to mask exemptions is available.

There are two income support options available for people who are required to self-isolate. If you believe you are a close contact, you will need to be able to evidence that you have had a PCR Test (a Rapid Antigen Test is insufficient).

You will only be able to access one of these two payments. Each has its own eligibility criteria and evidentiary requirements.