Fresh Air Zones
To make Murdoch a healthier environment for everyone, Fresh Air Zones have been introduced across large areas of the South Street and Rockingham campuses.
From July 2013, smoking is no longer permitted within these zones. Mandurah campus continues to be completely smoke-free.
We ask that you try and avoid smoking on campus completely. If you must smoke, please do so outside the Fresh Air Zones, which are marked on the maps below.
Need help to quit smoking?
Breaking the habit is a challenge, but it is possible. Support and resources are available for staff and students of Murdoch University, as well as the wider community.
- Students can visit the Health and Counselling Centre to make an appointment with a health professional, or to pick up some more information. Free brochures are available for staff and visitors.
- Keep an eye on staff and student announcements for information about seminars, courses and programs offered on campus.
- Staff are also eligible for free counselling through Murdoch University’s Employee Assistance Program. Call People Sense on 1300 887 724 or visit the People Sense website.
- Visit your General Practitioner
- Call the Quitline on 13 78 48 or visit the Quit Now website.
- Download the free My QuitBuddy app from Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Try the free online Quitcoach service.
Those with private health cover through BUPA may be eligible to receive benefits for nicotine replacement therapies. Learn more here.
What should I do if I see someone smoking in a Fresh Air Zone?
Murdoch University will continue to actively promote the new policy among staff, students, visitors and the general public. Some people may take a while to adjust to the new policy, and so may inadvertently break the rules.
If you see someone smoking in a Fresh Air Zone, assume they are not aware of the policy. Click here for a guide to help you politely inform others, if you feel comfortable doing so.
We have developed a reminder card for smokers, which may be a useful reference tool. You can order these cards below, or pick them up at a number of locations around campus.
Share your thoughts
Do you have a question, want to share some feedback, or order print resources? Email email@example.com.
Resources for Murdoch University’s Fresh Air Zones