School of law

Tenant Advice Line Western Australia

The Tenant Advice Line WA is a free statewide advice line for all residential tenants (both public and private). There is no means or income test to access this service.


Please note that while changes were made to the Residential Tenancy Act on 1 July 2013 some of the old laws “may” still apply to you.  If, for example, you entered into a lease before to 1 July 2013, the old laws may still apply.  Accordingly we strongly encourage you to get appropriate legal/tenancy advice from your local tenancy service concerning the application of the new laws.

Advice Line Numbers

9221 0088 (Metropolitan)
1800 621 888 (Country callers – Free call)

Advice Line Hours

9:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays)

Need an interpreter? Contact the Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) on 13 14 50 – available 24 hours.

Please note this service is not for landlords or corporate tenants. Landlords may contact the Department of Commerce on 1300 30 40 54. Corporate tenants may contact the Small Business Development Corporation on 131 249.

Funding for the Tenant Advice Line comes from the Rental Accommodation Fund administered by the Department of Commerce.

Our Tenant Advice Line workers provide information and support to people who are in Residential Tenancies, Public Housing, Community Housing or living in Park Homes.

You can also get help with information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Common questions from tenants are:

  • What are Tenant Databases?
  • What is a property condition report?
  • What do I need to know about:
    • Making an Application to Rent a House?
    • Maintenance, Repairs and Rent Reduction?
    • Rent?
    • Right of Entry?
    • Department of Housing - 3 strikes?
    • Bond and Getting the Bond Money Back?
    • Signing a Tenancy Agreement?

The Tenant Advice Line often experiences heavy demand. If you are having problems getting through to an advice line worker try calling the Department of Commerce’s information line 1300 30 40 54 or Legal Aid’s Information Line 1300 650 579 or a Tenant Advocate near you. (See below for details).

Tenants Rights Factsheets
The following Residential Tenancy Factsheets have been updated, as of 1 July 2013 there have been changes to the Residential Tenancy Act.

  1. Residential Tenancy Databases (RTDs)
  2. Making an application to rent a house
  3. Signing the tenancy agreement
  4. Property Condition Reports (PCR's)
  5. Maintenance, repairs and rent reduction
  6. Rent
  7. Lessor or agent's right of entry
  8. Security bonds
  9. Department of Housing 3 Strike Policy

You can access the updated factsheets on the Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre website.

Find a tenant advocate near you
Tenant advocates can help tenants with such things as information and advice, writing letters, applications to the Department of Housing and going to court.


Eastern Suburbs:
Midland Information Debt & Legal Advocacy Service (Midland) 9250 2123

North Central Suburbs:
Welfare Rights & Advocacy Service 9328 1751

Northern Suburbs:
Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre (Mirrabooka) 9440 1663
Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre (Joondalup) 9301 4413

South Central Suburbs:
Sussex Street Community Law Service (East Victoria Park) 6253 9500

South Eastern Suburbs:
Gosnells Community Legal Centre (Gosnells) 9398 1455

South Western Suburbs:
SCALES Community Legal Centre (Rockingham) 95500 400

Western Suburbs:
Fremantle Community Legal Centre 9432 9790


Goldfields Community Legal Centre (Kalgoorlie) 9021 1888
Goldfields Community Legal Centre (Countrycall) 1300 139 188

Great Southern:
Albany Community Legal Centre (Albany) 9842 8566
Albany Community Legal Centre (Freecall) 1800 60 60 60

Kimberley Community Legal Centre (Kununurra) 9169 3100
Kimberley Community Legal Centre (Countrycall) 1800 686 020

Mid West / Gascoyne:
Geraldton Resource Centre (Geraldton) 9938 0600

Peel Community Legal Service 9581 4511

Pilbara Community Legal Service (Karratha) 9185 5899
Pilbara Community Legal Service (Newman) 9175 9931
Pilbara Community Legal Service (Roebourne) 9182 1169
Pilbara Community Legal Service (South Hedland) 9140 1613

South West:
Accord West (Bunbury) 9791 3213
Accord West (Freecall) 1800 115 799

Wheatbelt Community Legal Centre (Northam) 9622 5200

The Department of Commerce

IMPORTANT:  As of 1 July 2013, there are a number of changes for Lessors and Tenants.  Information about the Residential Tenancy Act Amendment Act can be found at

The Department of Commerce ( is a State Government department with responsibilities and functions under the Residential Tenancies Act 1987 (WA). These responsibilities include the provision of information and advice to tenants and owners, as well as conciliation functions in disputes between owners and tenants.
Advice Line: 1300 304 054; TTY: 9282 0800

Legal Aid (WA)

Legal Aid provides a free telephone information service on legal problems including tenancy ( Information Line: 1300 650 579; TTY: 1800 241 216