Professional Experience Requirements
All Pre-Service Teachers (PSTs) at Murdoch undertake Professional Experience in a school context. For final year Bachelor of Education or Grad. Diploma of Education students, school placement involves two units known as FPE (Final Professional Experience) 1 and 2. This involves a 3 week placement followed by a 7 week placement. For more information click here. Other placement units are spread throughout the academic year, and are offered either on a 'block' (full-time) or 'distributed' (part-time) basis. NOTE FOR EXTERNAL STUDENTS: Murdoch University's Student Village can arrange short term stays for external students. This could be useful for those students attending the intensive teaching period and the Perth-based school placement.
Click here for 2017 Calendar for Professional Experience (all courses).
GRAD DIP SECONDARY STUDENTS - PLEASE NOTE - Calendar dates for EDN550 school placement are incorrect. School placements will start on the 20th February for one full week, followed by one day a week for five weeks. The on-campus intensive week starts 13th February, and is for one week (not two weeks as stated in the Calendar). Please click here for more information about the changes.
Alternative Placements & Internships
1. The Rural Teacher Program (final placement) - 1 term in a country (rural or remote) school - Department of Education funding may be available for eligible students - Click here for more information
2. Country Placement (third year B.Ed.- Primary and Secondary) - 2 weeks - Wheatbelt (Primary & Secondary) / Kalgoorlie (Primary & Secondary) / Australind-Bunbury (Primary only) / Burringurrah Remote Community School (Primary only) - Click here for more information
3. International Placement - Singapore (third year B.Ed. - ECE & Primary) or Thailand / Phuket (third year B.Ed - HPE / Sports Science) - 2 weeks - Federal Government funding (New Colombo Plan) is available to cover student flights and accommodation.
Click here for more information about Singapore.
Click here for more information about Thailand.
4. One Year Internships - metro Perth and rural WA - In collaboration with its Partnership Schools, Murdoch offers a wide range of nationally recognised internship programs that provide for one full year immersion experience in the school. Fourth term student teachers also have the option to work with a Limited Authority to Teach. Interns are actively sought out and successful in obtaining employment. For more information, click here.
Practical Classroom Management - professional development sessions for final year students
Final year student teachers have the opportunity to learn practical classroom management skills at professional development workshops offered on campus at Murdoch. The Department of Education’s Classroom Management Strategies Course has been specially modified and adapted for Murdoch students and provides practical approaches to help improve pupil engagement and reduce unproductive social behaviour. Murdoch is the only WA university offering this classroom management course to students, as ordinarily the workshop is run for qualified teachers active in the profession. The course is held during non-teaching weeks and is ideally timed to offer practical solutions to students before they embark on their professional placements. Click here for more information. Students also receive certificates of attendance which they can add to their professional portfolios.
Mandatory Student Requirements - Clearances
Prior to placement in any school for professional experience, Pre-Service Teachers are required to complete and submit copies of students' National Police History Check (from the Education Department NOT the Police Station) and a Working with Children Clearance. Please upload a copy of your NPHC and WWCC via the 'Documents' link on SONIA - Online Student Placement Management System. See below for more information about SONIA.
**NOTE: First year education students (both undergrad and postgrad) will not be able to upload documents onto SONIA - you will need to email your clearances to ProfessionalExperience@murdoch.edu.au OR present hard copies of clearances to the Student Centre (Bush Court) or Education Reception (Education & Humanities building). When both clearances have been received, your enrolment status into first year professional experience units will change from INVALID to ENROLLED.
See links below on how to apply for each clearance.
- WA Education Department's National Police History Check
(***THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM A NATIONAL POLICE CLEARANCE)
- Working With Children Clearance
(***SECTION 6 OF THIS FORM NEEDS TO BE SIGNED OFF BY MURDOCH - THIS CAN BE DONE AT THE STUDENT CENTRE IN BUSH COURT OR AT EDUCATION RECEPTION )
Please see links below for more information about other required forms
- (to be completed on SONIA)
- Placement Form (to be completed on SONIA)
- Name Badge Order Form
- Notification of Absence from Professional Experience
SONIA Online Placement System
SONIA is the online system used by Murdoch University's School of Education to manage students’ various professional experience placements.
Pre-Service Teachers must use SONIA to:
- Enter your Subject Teaching Areas "A" (Major area) and "B" (Minor)
- Enter any disability or equity needs (as registered with the Murdoch Equity Office)
- Enter any professional or personal relationships at schools you have that could cause a Conflict of Interest
- Upload copies of completed mandatory Checks and Clearances
- Upload copies of completed professional experience Reports (Midway and Final)
- Complete SONIA online Placement Form for each professional experience unit you are enrolled in
- Complete SONIA online Pre-Service Teacher Agreement form (only needs to be completed once for the course duration)
- Find out details about your upcoming school placement (available only when placement details have been finalised).
If you would like more information on how to use SONIA, click here.
To log into SONIA, click here (NOTE: Login details for SONIA are the same as for MY INFO)
Click on the link for more information : Student FAQs
Click here for information on how to contact the Professional Experience Office.