Professional Experience Requirements

All Pre-Service Teachers (PSTs) at Murdoch undertake Professional Experience in a school context. For final year Bachelor of Education or M.Teach students, school placement involves two units known as FPE (Final Professional Experience) 1 and 2. This involves a 3 week placement followed by a 7 week placement. For more information click here. Other placement units are spread throughout the academic year, and are offered either on a 'block' (full-time) or 'distributed' (part-time) basis. NOTE FOR EXTERNAL STUDENTS: Murdoch University's Student Village can arrange short term stays for external students. This could be useful for those students attending the intensive teaching period and the Perth-based school placement.

Click here for 2018 Calendar for Professional Experience (undergraduate and postgraduate teacher education courses).

Metro / Rural / International - Placements & Internships

Country Practicum Program (final placement) - 1 term in a country (rural or remote) school - Department of Education funding may be available for eligible students - Click here for more information

3rd Year Rural Placement (third year B.Ed) - 2 weeks - Wheatbelt (Primary & Secondary) / Kalgoorlie (Primary & Secondary) / Australind-Bunbury (Primary only) / Burringurrah Remote Community School (Primary only) - Click here for more information

International Placement (third year B.Ed) - 2 weeks - Federal Government funding (New Colombo Plan) is available to cover student flights and accommodation for Thailand and China (Singapore is now self-funded).

  • China (Kunming, Yunnan) (third year B.Ed. - ECE & Primary; or Primary) Click here for more info

  • Singapore (third year B.Ed. - ECE & Primary) Click here for more info

  • Thailand (Phuket or rural Thailand) (third year B.Ed - HPE / Sports Science) Click here for more info

12 month Internships - metro Perth and rural WA -  In collaboration with its Partnership Schools,  Murdoch offers a wide range of nationally recognised internship programs that provide for one full year immersion experience in the school. Fourth term student teachers also have the option to work with a Limited Authority to Teach. Interns are actively sought out and successful in obtaining employment. For more information, click here.

Mandatory Student Requirements - Clearances

Prior to placement in any school for professional experience, Pre-Service Teachers are required to complete and submit copies of students' National Police History Check (from the Education Department NOT the Police Station) and a Working with Children Clearance. Please upload a copy of your NPHC and WWCC via the 'Documents' link on SONIA - Online Student Placement Management System. See below for more information about SONIA.

**NOTE: First year education students (both undergrad and postgrad) will only be able to upload documents onto SONIA - 24hrs after enrolling in the practicum unit. You can email your clearances to OR present hard copies of clearances to Education Reception (Education & Humanities building, building 450).

See links below on how to apply for each clearance.

  • WA Education Department's National Police History Check

  • Working With Children Clearance

    Other Required Forms for Placement

  • Pre-Service Teacher Agreement form (to be completed on SONIA)
  • Placement Form (to be completed on SONIA)
  • Name Badge -  order & payment (online link here)

    What to do if you are sick or absent from placement

    First of all, it is essential that you notify your mentor teacher, your unit coordinator and the Professional Experience office (email notification is preferred, Fourth year education students will also need to notify their External Moderator.  You will then need to obtain a medical certificate if you are absent due to illness, and complete a Notification of Absence form (see below) that your mentor teacher or school experience coordinator needs to sign. Once completed, the Absence form and medical certificate need to be then uploaded onto SONIA online system (under "documents"). It is also professional practice to submit your lesson plans for any missed days to your mentor teacher, as is the practice if you were the teacher arranging relief. NOTE: If you are absent for more than 1 day, you will need to negotiate 'make-up' days with your mentor teacher.

  • Notification of Absence from Professional Experience Form

SONIA Online Placement System

SONIA is the online system used by Murdoch University's School of Education to manage students’ various professional experience placements.

Pre-Service Teachers must use SONIA to:

  • Enter your Subject Teaching Areas "A" (Major area) and "B" (Minor)
  • Enter any disability or equity needs (as registered with the Murdoch Equity & Social Inclusion Office)
  • Enter any professional or personal relationships at schools you have that could cause a Conflict of Interest
  • Upload copies of completed mandatory Checks and Clearances
  • Upload copies of completed professional experience Reports (Midway and Final)
  • Complete SONIA online Placement Form for each professional experience unit you are enrolled in
  • Complete SONIA online Pre-Service Teacher Agreement form (only needs to be completed once for the course duration)
  • Find out details about your upcoming school placement (available only when placement details have been finalised).

If you would like more information on how to use SONIA, click here.

To log into SONIA, click here (NOTE: Login details for SONIA are the same as for MY INFO)


Click on the link for more information : Student FAQs

Contact Us

Click here for information on how to contact the Professional Experience Office.