Professional Experience Requirements
All Pre-Service Teachers (PSTs) at Murdoch undertake Professional Experience in a school context. For final year Bachelor of Education or Grad. Diploma of Education students, school placement involves two units known as FPE (Final Professional Experience) 1 and 2. This involves a 3 week placement followed by a 7 week placement. For more information click here. Other placement units are spread throughout the academic year, and are offered either on a 'block' (full-time) or 'distributed' (part-time) basis. Please see calendars below for specific dates of 2016 placement offerings:
- Calendar of Primary placements for 2016
- Calendar of Secondary placements for 2016
- Calendar of Early Childhood Education for 2016 (Grad Cert / Grad Dip / Bachelor in Early Childhood Education (0-8)
1. The Rural Teacher Program (final placement) - 1 term in a country school - Department of Education funding may be available for eligible students - click here for more information
2. Country Placement (third year B.Ed.- Primary and Secondary) - 2 weeks in a country school - click here for more information
Wheatbelt - Housing is provided at Wongan Hills and options are available for Primary and District High School placements.
Kalgoorlie - Primary and Secondary - billeting options may be available.
Kingston (Bunbury) - Primary only - billeting options may be available.
3. Sinagpore or Thailand (Phuket) International Placement (third year B.Ed. - Primary / Secondary) - 2 weeks - Federal Government funding (New Colombo Plan) is available to cover student flights and acoommodation. More information coming soon !
Murdoch, in collaboration with its Partnership Schools (metro and rural), offers a wide range of nationally recognised internship programs that provide for one full year immersion experience in the school. Fourth term student teachers also have the option to work with a Limited Authority to Teach. Interns are actively sought out and successful in obtaining employment. For more information, click here
Mandatory Student Requirements - Clearances
Prior to placement in any school for professional experience, Pre-Service Teachers are required to complete and submit copies of students' National Police History Check (from the Education Department NOT the Police Station) and a Working with Children Clearance. Please upload a copy of your NPHC and WWCC via the 'Documents' link on SONIA - Online Student Placement Management System.
- WA Education Department's National Police History Check
(***THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM A NATIONAL POLICE CLEARANCE)
- Working With Children Clearance
(***SECTION 6 OF THIS FORM NEEDS TO BE SIGNED OFF BY MURDOCH - THIS CAN BE DONE AT THE STUDENT CENTRE IN BUSH COURT OR AT EDUCATION RECEPTION )
Please see links below for more information about other required forms
- (to be completed on SONIA)
- Placement Form (to be completed on SONIA)
- Name Badge Order Form
- Notification of Absence from Professional Experience
Click on the link for more information : Student FAQs
Click here for information on how to contact the Professional Experience Office.