If your pet got stung by a bee at the park, or got a bit too friendly with a blowfish on the beach, would you know when and whether a trip to the emergency vet is needed and how to support your pet until you get there?
Join us for our next Pet First Aid for Dogs and Cats Workshop at The Animal Hospital at Murdoch University and find out.
Date: Saturday 21 October 2023
Location: Murdoch University
Cost: AUD$225 incl GST
Time: 9am - 1pm
Note: Registrations close Monday, 16 October 2023.
If you have any questions about the workshop please email PetFirstAid@murdoch.edu.au.
Past workshop testimonials
Here is some of the feedback we received from our previous workshop participants when we asked them what they would say to someone thinking about attending the Pet First Aid Workshop:
"Great team. Lots of information. Plenty of great tips. I feel much more confident now with how to react to a pet medical situation before reaching a vet to give my dog the best chance of survival or care." - Stuart, February 2022
"Do it! Great information, great staff, lovely dogs." - L. Brain, Workshop Participant, October 2021
"Highly recommend this course!! Very informative. Great teachers."Lidia, Workshop Participant, June 2021
- Learn to identify pet emergency situations
- Acquire the skills to provide effective and possibly life-saving first aid for your pet or the pets in your care in any emergency
- Know what to do to help your pet on the way to the vet
- Learn some treatments that you can do at home, which will help minimise extra visits to the vet.
- Who will teach you
- Learn from a senior emergency vet who deals with emergencies on a daily basis in the largest veterinary emergency hospital in WA, ably supported by a team of experienced nurses.
How is the workshop structured
This workshop starts with learning the theory behind emergency pet first aid followed by hands-on training with live dogs in our specially equipped Skills Lab, a learning and teaching space set up for our 4th and 5th year vet students. This means you have access to special training tools such as Rufus, one of our teaching mannequins.
Why enrol in our Pet First Aid Workshop
- Taught by an experienced senior veterinarian in Emergency and Critical Care
- Supported by a team of at least 3 senior nurses
- Four (4) hour workshop with lecture and hands-on practical session with dogs
- Small group learning, each group taught and supervised by a vet or nurse
- Fully illustrated workshop manual
- Quick Reference Guide
- Pet First Aid Kit
- Pet Emergency Posters
- Total of $80 worth of included goodies
- Morning tea provided.
This is the only Pet First Aid Workshop available in Perth delivered by a senior veterinarian who has extensive experience and practices exclusively in Emergency and Critical Care.
What you will learn
Our workshop participants get the most up-to-date knowledge in Pet First Aid because our clinicians are doing the research that advances veterinary medicine and are consummate teachers. They love teaching, that’s why they are at a university teaching hospital.
Allow them to share their passion for best practice emergency pet first aid with you and walk away feeling confident in providing effective first aid to your pet in an emergency until you can get them to the hospital.
This workshop covers all you need to know to provide effective first and includes the following topics:
- Basic Anatomy
- Physical Exams and Vital Signs
- Cardiovascular System
- Breathing and Respiratory Distress
- Oral and Oesophageal Foreign Bodies
- Musculoskeletal Complaints
- Abdominal Pain/Palpation
- Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus
- Bleeding and Wound Management
- Emergency Fracture Treatment
- Allergies and Anaphylaxis
- Heat Stroke
- Cardiopulmonary Cerebral Resuscitation
- Pain and Pain Relief
What to wear
Comfortable, neat casual clothes and closed in shoes
This four-hour workshop brought to you by a team of veterinary professionals in our especially equipped clinical skills teaching space with $80 worth of included goodies is $225 per person.
Please note: This course is not suitable for anyone under 15 years of age.
This Pet First Aid Workshop is brought to you by the veterinary teaching hospital, The Animal Hospital, and the School of Veterinary Medicine at Murdoch University.
We look forward to welcoming you to Murdoch University and The Animal Hospital.