Moving to Perth 101: The international student’s guide

So the Western Australian borders have re-opened and you want to join Murdoch in person at the Perth Campus. What’s next? Here’s everything you need to know.

Trying to navigate international study in the current climate can seem confusing, but don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. We have a great range of resources available to all international students, to help make the transition from your home to Perth an easy one.

We’ve laid out a checklist for everything you need to get in order before making your way over to Australia to join us on-campus in Perth:


Your first, and arguably most important, step is to have your passport in check. This means making sure your passport is valid and in date.

Proof of TGA approved vaccination

Anyone entering into Australia must follow all government advice and guidelines.

Currently, to enter into Australia you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with one of the Therapeutic Goods Australia (TGA) approved vaccinations. This means you need either:

  • Two doses at least 14 days apart of:
    • AstraZeneca Vaxzevria
    • AstraZeneca COVISHIELD
    • Pfizer/Biontech Comirnaty
    • Moderna (Spikevax or Takeda)
    • Sinovac Coronavac
    • Bharat Covaxin
    • Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV (for people under 60 years of age on arrival in Australia)
    • Gamaleya Research Institute Sputnik V
    • Novavax/Biocelect Nuvaxovid
  • Or, one dose of:
    • Johnson & Johnson/Janssen-Cilag COVID Vaccine.

Find everything you need to know on proving your vaccination status on the Australian Government website.

Valid student visa

If you’re not an Australian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, you’ll need a Student Visa to come and study in Perth.

First, you need to accept your place at Murdoch by returning your completed acceptance letter with one semester’s fees and the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) fee for the duration of the visa you will need.

Once you have successfully accepted your place, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment letter, meaning you can then apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a Student Visa. To apply for a visa you will need:

  • A copy of your Offer of Enrolment letter
  • A copy of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover payment
  • Passport
  • Passport photographs
  • Medical clearance
  • Other documents relating to any other visa eligibility requirement as requested by Department of Home Affairs

Overseas Student Health Cover

So what is Overseas Student Health Cover? Essentially, it’s health insurance to cover your time in Australia and is necessary to successfully apply for your Student Visa. There are different types of cover on offer, so it’s best to explore what is right for you before applying.

G2G Pass

A G2G Pass is an application to come into Western Australia. It provides Australian authorities with all of your up to date information on your health and travel. It is your key to getting into WA!

You can apply for a G2G pass on the G2G Pass app or the ServiceWA app. It’s important to note, you will need the ServiceWA app either way to live daily life COVID-safe in Perth so we recommend making that your new best friend before arriving. This keeps all Perth COVID-19 information in one place.

Australian dollars

Before making the journey over, it’s a good idea to get your finances in order. This means having a minimum of $3,000 AUD on your card and $500 AUD in cash.

This will ensure you’ll have enough to pick up a mid-priced laptop, if you don’t already have one, and have enough to get you started with accommodation. Having cash is also always a good idea in case you get into a sticky situation. Also make sure you know how to set up an Australian bank account. 

Personal laptop or money to buy one

Once you’ve got your documentation and money in check, it’s a good time to think about how you’ll get your uni work done once you arrive. Have you got a laptop at home? Perfect, bring it with you. Otherwise, use some of the money you have brought with you to secure one upon arrival.

Secure accommodation

Before stepping foot in Perth, it’s important to have secured accommodation. Whether you decide to embrace the Murdoch experience to the fullest by living in the Murdoch University Village, find your own accommodation or do a home stay with an Australian family, the right option for you is out there. 

Book your free airport pickup ­­

To ensure you start your time in Perth on the right foot, we want to be there from your very first step. Book a free airport pickup courtesy of The Murdoch University Guild. We will collect you from the airport and take you to your accommodation here in Perth.

This service will be available from September 2022, so to find out more information and book your pickup online, visit The Guild website. Moving to Perth for university is an exciting step, and even more-so when Murdoch’s Perth campus is waiting for you on the other end! Follow the checklist above to make sure you’re all set to come over, and we can’t wait to welcome you in person!

Looking for more information on being an international student at Murdoch? Check out the International Students page­­­ on our website for more in depth information on all things studying at Murdoch.

Posted on:

24 Mar 2022

Share this article:

Show your support

Clap to show your support for the article