This comprehensive research program provides an advanced level of postgraduate study in veterinary science with a high degree of specialisation in a selected area.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
This comprehensive combined coursework and research program is the only one of its kind in Western Australia. You’ll have access to our on-campus, world class veterinary facilities for training in a broad range of disciplines within veterinary science, including epidemiology and public health, parasitology, and clinical specialities.
If required, you will also have access to Whitby Falls Farm, our off-campus teaching and research facility. This 203-hectare heritage listed farm property, located 46 kilometres south of Perth, will offer you further experience in livestock research.
You’ll gain advanced academic preparation in applied research. The degree provides the opportunity for advanced study in analytical and research skills in veterinary science, applied to clinical and non-clinical disciplines. The DVetMedSc program culminates in the completion of a research thesis.
5 reasons to study a Doctor of Veterinary Medical Science at Murdoch
- Build upon your veterinary degree through a targeted research program that can be conducted from any location in the world.
- Learn alongside and be supervised by experienced veterinary academics.
- Learn in real-world skills in facilities including a veterinary teaching hospital, and off-campus farm teaching facility.
- Study on your own terms with flexible on- or off-campus, full or part-time study.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of focus and interest.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- research skills through elective coursework units in research methodology
- the disciplines of epidemiology and veterinary pathology
- tailoring a research project to an animal disease or condition relevant to your field of interest.
Upon completion of the Doctor of Veterinary Medical Science, you will have an internationally recognised postgraduate research degree, and be able to choose from a range of senior career opportunities across the veterinary science spectrum, including in research, clinical, industry and academic fields.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.