Do you love building relationships and all forms of communication and media? Learn how to use these skills as a strategic communicator in a diverse and global world.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
People wanting to work in tomorrow’s media and communication environment will need technical skills, the ability to think quickly and act professionally. This course will teach you how to communicate and engage with various stakeholders and audiences strategically.
You’ll develop digital and traditional communication skills and will learn how to apply these skills in a range of contexts from web communication, to social media to creative production and news media.
You’ll work with real clients on real campaigns as you build a wide range of skills for professional communication in the digital age, including creating and producing content, managing social media and developing public relations and communications strategies.
8 reasons to study Strategic Communication
- Work with real organisations on real projects as part of our work integrated learning program. Some of our students have interned with Lifeline, RAC Arena and The Salvation Army.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH and work on real projects with real companies. Organisations have included Royal Lifesaving WA and the WA Division of the United Nations.
- At Murdoch, you’ll develop an entrepreneurial attitude, client consultation skills, critical thinking and the ability to adapt - so you can action your ideas.
- Join professional networks and build valuable connections through our academics and their close relationships with industry.
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
- We consulted with our academics, industry contacts and students in designing this course – so your skills and knowledge will be relevant when you begin your career.
- Learn from industry professionals with vast experience and connections in their respective fields. Some of our experts have managed their own major social media and PR agencies overseas and worked with major overseas health companies, Heineken, Invisalign and more.
- Strong future growth is expected for public relations, advertising and marketing professionals. Source: Australian Government Job Outlook
Some of the things you’ll learn
- social media management
- consulting and freelancing
- campaign management
- communication strategy and planning
- web design.
Your future career
When you graduate you can choose from careers in strategic communication, public relations and specialised areas such as social media management, public affairs, community relations, media liaison, health communication, corporate communication, government communication, not‐for‐profit communication, advocacy, stakeholder and community engagement, content planning and creation, web, digital and online communication.
Careers could include:
- Social Media Manager
- Media Advisor
- Public Relations Officer or Manager
- Strategic Communication Manager
- Sponsorship and Fundraising Coordinator.
Recommended double majors
Recommended combined degrees
This course is accredited by the Public Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
- School of Arts
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.