In an increasingly data-driven world, learn how to manage, protect and leverage data collected from everyday activities to drive business decisions, solve social problems, and inform better healthcare.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 year full-time or part-time equivalent
Increasingly, companies are using large datasets that have been generated by business activities and social media to uncover trends and insights that can be used to tailor products and services, anticipate demand, improve performance, or contribute to solving complex social, health and science-related problems.
Equip yourself with the analytical skills needed to work with big data. This course is taught with a computational focus that combines information technology with mathematics and statistics.
The course is designed for information technology graduates and people working in information technology-related fields and provides the knowledge and skills IT professionals need to work with big data.
You’ll benefit from an emphasis on data resources management, business and data analytics and local area network design. You may also choose to work on an advanced study project on your topic of choice to solve a current problem in the information technology industry.
5 reasons to study a Graduate Diploma in Data Science at Murdoch
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub a cutting-edge learning teaching and research facility, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- This course has been designed in collaboration with industry partners with an emphasis on effective communication and the development of solutions to complex real world IT problems.
- Learn from our teaching and research staff who are forward thinking IT professionals who are highly active in generating policy and change within industry.
- Study on your own terms – we offer flexible study arrangements allowing you to upskill whilst you’re still earning so you can study full-time or part-time to suit your circumstances. (If you’re an international student you’ll need to study full-time)
- Take advantage of our scholarships such as the Murdoch University Academic Excellence Award.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- data science
- data architecture
- project management
- business analytics
When you graduate, you’ll have the necessary skills to manage, protect and leverage big data with employment opportunities in a wide range across industries such as telecommunications, health, education, architecture, engineering, law and government.
Careers could include:
- Data Analyst
- Data Modeller
- Data and Analytics Manager
- Business Intelligence Architect.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
The course is available by on-campus attendance only.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.