Navigate and equip yourself with all the communication and creative skills you need to succeed in an ever-changing global media industry.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Is your dream career in a communication or media role? In this major, you’ll develop new skills and gain experience as you analyse both traditional and digital media texts, learn about the power of communication and its impact on society and culture, and develop research skills that enable you to examine global media issues, cultural and media policies, and audience behaviour.
You will also have the chance to work on a communication project or take on a professional internship placement, to give you on-the-job, real world experience.
6 reasons to study Global Media and Communication at Murdoch
- Work with real organisations on real projects as part of our work integrated learning program.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH and work on real projects with real companies.
- Join professional networks and build valuable connections through our academics and their close relationships with industry.
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
- We consulted with our academics, industry contacts and students in designing this course – so your skills and knowledge will be relevant when you begin your career.
- Led by industry professionals with vast experience and connections in their respective fields. Many of our academics have worked as journalists in major media organisations and have held executive roles in media regulatory bodies and government departments in Australia and internationally.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- social, games and mobile media
- disruptions and innovations in communication
- communicating global issues
- media audiences
- media governance and globalisation.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Strategic Communication
- Radio (minor)
- Bachelor of Creative Media
- Bachelor of Criminology
- Bachelor of Laws.
Your future career
Just about every profession recognises the value of excellent written and spoken communication skills and the practical skills obtained from this degree can be used to build the profile and operational functions of a number of industries, large and small. Some of the examples of the industries you could work in include media, advertising and marketing.
Careers could include:
- Media and Communication Officer
- Media Researcher
- Communication Policy and Strategy Consultant
- Campaign Specialist
- Web and Media Analyst.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.