Horizons Summer Programs
Get a head start in your studies and join one of our Horizons summer schools. Run in January, the programs can strengthen your academic skills and knowledge to help you maximise your Year 12 results and kick-start your university degree.
If you’re starting Year 12 in 2022
Horizons Summer School is designed for students transitioning from Year 11 to Year 12. If you’re starting Year 12 in 2021, this is a great opportunity to get the most out of your final year of high school.
If you’re finishing Year 12 in 2021
If you are finishing Year 12 in 2021 and aiming to start university in 2022, then HorizonsPlus could be for you. This program provides an entry pathway into Murdoch.
- Prepare for Year 12 with Horizons Summer School: Each unit will explore new perspectives, learning strategies and knowledge to assist your Year 12 studies.
- Prepare for your undergraduate degree with HorizonsPlus: Each unit will strengthen your core discipline knowledge and build your academic skills in preparation for university study.
- Receive credit points towards a Murdoch degree: On completing the programs, you'll receive a certificate and three points of credit towards a Murdoch University degree, which is the equivalent of one subject or unit.
- Explore our campus: When you start university, you'll feel right at home in familiar surroundings.
- Meet new people and study in state-of-the-art facilities: You'll work in small groups to address real-world problems under the guidance of internationally renowned lecturers and academics and receive mentoring from experienced Murdoch students.
- Meet entry requirements for an undergraduate degree with HorizonsPlus: Qualify for entry into a degree course in a related field of study with a selection rank of 70. (Nursing is excluded as the course commences before the completion of HorizonsPlus).
What will I learn?
Both Horizons Summer School and HorizonsPlus students have the opportunity to choose one of the below discipline units.
HorizonsPlus students only will also complete an additional unit titled University Skills Unlocked and have the opportunity to select the alternative HorizonsPlus discipline unit Social Influence and Social Change instead of one of the discipline units below.
Social sciences unit: HOR101 Freedom in the Age of the Internet
Across the globe, the internet has given us access to more information and more choice than we’ve ever had before. This unit will explore whether this flow of information means we are freer as a society, and whether our society is more equal, open and understanding as a result.
Science unit: HOR102 Disease Detectives
You’ll work as a disease detective, using modern laboratory methods, equipment and research skills to explore emerging diseases. See how disease detectives investigate epidemics and solve problems to identify microbes and reduce the damage caused by disease. You’ll learn about how living conditions, changing ecosystems and travel all contribute to the spread of disease.
Business unit: HOR103 Business as a Force for Good
Informed consumers expect more from business. This unit looks at how business can be a force for good by addressing green procurement, modern slavery and ethical supply chains as well as looking at new models for business, social licence to operate and their role in global development.
Engineering unit: HOR104 Murdoch Roboteers
As a Murdoch Roboteer you will build a robot to perform a task related to those constructed in the FRC (FIRST Robotic Competition) worldwide high school competition. You will be presented with an FRC robotic design problem and with the support of FRC team mentors you will use CAD, 3D printing computers and a range of workshop facilities and power tools to design, prototype, program and fabricate a robot able to perform the selected task.
Horizons Summer School
Horizons Summer School prepares students who are transitioning from Year 11 to Year 12 for their final year of secondary study.
Over three weeks, you’ll participate in lectures, workshops and labs to experience university life and study.
|Dates & times||To be confirmed|
|Eligibility||All students completing Year 11 studies in 2020 are welcome to attend Horizons Year 12 Summer School. There are no pre-requisites.|
|Cost||$450. Fully funded scholarships are available to students from Murdoch RISE Schools.|
We have developed HorizonsPlus as an admission pathway to starting an undergraduate degree at Murdoch in Semester 1, 2021.
The four-week program will introduce you to undergraduate study and prepare you to transition into your undergraduate degree.
|Dates & times||To be confirmed|
|Eligibility||All students who complete their Year 12 studies and achieve their WACE in 2020 are welcome to apply for HorizonsPlus.|
|Cost||$450. Fully funded scholarships are available to equity students from Murdoch RISE Schools.|
2022 dates to be confirmed
If you have any questions, please email us.