Course fees

Your course or tuition fees will vary depending on the course you are studying, the units you’re enrolled in and your citizenship status.

Course fees cover the cost of your units, but not the cost of textbooks or other materials and equipment required. You may also need to pay for:

  • student services and amenities fee
  • textbooks
  • field trips
  • laboratory equipment such as lab coats and safety goggles
  • printing and photocopying
  • compliance requirements for your course, for example immunisations and police checks.

If you are studying externally you might need to attend mandatory on-campus sessions for some units, so you’ll want to factor in the cost of travelling to Murdoch and accommodation if necessary.

Domestic student fees

You're considered a domestic student at Murdoch if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen or hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa.

As a domestic student, the fees you pay will depend on your enrolment. You can work out the cost of your units with our fee calculator.

  • Commonwealth supported places

    If you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, New Zealand citizen, or Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder, you may be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place.

    Being enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place means that your fees will be subsidised by the Australian Government.

    You may also be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan which will allow you to defer your student contribution.

    Find out more about Commonwealth supported places and HELP loans

  • Full fee paying places

    If you are not eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, your course fees will not be subsidised by the Australian Government. This means you need to pay the full amount of your fees.

    You may still be eligible for the Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), which allows you to defer the payment of your fees.

    Find out more about HELP loans

  • Higher degrees by research

    If you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen studying a graduate research degree you are likely to be awarded a Research Training Program (RTP) place.

    This means you will have no tuition fees to pay for a period of time, usually between 3 and 3.5 years.

    If you have an RTP place and have not completed your research within the set time, you may be charged domestic tuition fees for the additional period it takes to complete your course.

    If you are not awarded an RTP place then you will pay domestic tuition fees.

    For more information on the Research Training Program contact the Graduate Research Office

International student fees

As an international student, your fees will depend on where you are studying. You can work out the cost of your units with our fee calculator.

  • International students

    You're an international student if you hold or are applying for a Student, Diplomatic, Bridging, Temporary or Provisional Resident visa, or are a permanent resident of New Zealand.

    Your Letter of Offer will contain an estimated annual tuition fee based on 24 points.

    Your tuition fees are unit-based for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and calculated based on points and area of study.

    The tuition fee rate is adjusted to the rate of inflation in the education sector each year. If you change courses, your fee rate will be reassessed and you will pay the fee rate for the new course for that year.

    If your visa status changes this may affect your fee rate so it is important that you advise Murdoch of any change as soon as possible. Find out more about changing your visa status.

  • Study abroad or exchange students

    If you’re an exchange student from one of our official partner universities, you will continue to pay your tuition fees to your home university while studying at Murdoch. Check with your home university for fee information.

    For all other students, the 2021 Study Abroad tuition fee is $6,900 for either 3 units (9 Murdoch credit points) or 4 units (12 Murdoch credit points). Some unit exclusions apply.

    Study abroad refund policy

    Sometimes circumstances change and you are no longer able to take up your place at Murdoch. In some cases, you may be eligible for a refund or partial refund. If you’re receiving a scholarship or financial aid, please check with your lending institution to learn about any policies that may apply if you request a refund.

Other fee categories

  • Transnational students

    Transnational students

    Your fees are managed by your local partner institution.


    See Murdoch University Dubai fees


    See Murdoch Singapore fees


    Contact the program management team at your local partner institution for details.

  • Open Universities Australia

    If you are enrolled in an OUA Commonwealth supported place, your fees will be subsidised by the Australian government. You may also be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan which will allow you to defer your student contribution.

    If you are not enrolled in an OUA Commonwealth supported place, your fees will be charged when you enrol through Open Universities Australia.

  • Non-award study

    If you’re studying individual units at Murdoch instead of a full course leading to a qualification your fees will be charged at the full rate and must be paid in advance.

    These units are not Commonwealth supported, so the cost will be higher than for the same units undertaken as part of an undergraduate degree. Postgraduate full fee paying units are charged at the same cost as units taken within a degree.

    Your fees may be deferred to a FEE-HELP loan if you are studying a bridging course for overseas trained professionals.

  • Cross institutional enrolment

    If you are studying Murdoch units for credit towards a course at another Australian institution, your fees will be charged in line with your enrolment at your home university.

Have a question? Talk to us

Future International Students

+61 8 9360 6063 Mon - Fri
8am – 6pm Make an enquiry

Future Students

1300 687 3624 Mon – Fri
8am - 6pm
Make an enquiry

Current Students

1300 687 3624 Mon – Fri
8:30am - 4:30pm
Make an enquiry