Terrorism impacts the world in challenging and often unexpected ways. In this course, you’ll explore the complex causes of terrorism and political violence, how these issues are shaping the world – and what can be done about it.
- Full or part-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Full or part-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Every day, media outlets feature stories of terrorism and political violence around the world. These issues represent today’s biggest global security challenges.
In this course you’ll explore the meaning, development and complex causes of terrorism and political violence. Examine the different ways governments, states and organisations have responded to the threat of terrorism and discover how effective these approaches have been.
You’ll gain the kind of skills, knowledge and insights that organisations across the world are looking for when assessing risk and potential threats to security.
6 reasons to study Terrorism and Counterterrorism Studies at Murdoch
- This course was the first of its kind in WA.
- Benefit from our long-standing industry connections with government and security agencies and learn from experts who have worked and consulted with organisations such as the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Australian Defence College, United Nations and a range of aid and development agencies.
- The course content is current and relevant in the real world.
- Combine your degree with minors in Indonesian and Global Politics to further enhance your career.
- Get a competitive advantage in your career as you explore national and international security issues, particularly in relation to the Middle East, Southeast and South Asia, where our teaching staff have special expertise.
- Travel to Indonesia for a semester as part of the Study Indonesia Australian Consortium for 'In-Country' Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) program and put your learning into practice.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- terrorism in a globalised world
- military force and counterterrorism
- policing, intelligence and counterterrorism
- Middle East politics and security
- US policies and global security.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Community Development
- Global Politics and Policy
- Global Media and Communication
- Law + Global Security
- Criminology + Global Security.
Your future career
Across the world, organisations are facing more dangerous and varied security threats than ever before. When you graduate, your career opportunities could include working in the intelligence services, Australian Defence Force, and state and federal government agencies.
Careers could include:
- Counterterrorism Consultant
- Security and Risk Manager
- Security Analyst or Manager
- Intelligence Analyst or Officer
- Strategic Risk Analyst
- Law Enforcement or Defence Officer
- International Diplomacy
- Aid and Development Officer
- Foreign Policy Consultant
- Border Protection Officer
- Australian Defence Force Analyst.
You could work in a range of industries including security and cybersecurity, human rights and law enforcement, foreign affairs, aid and development, non-governmental organisations (known as NGOs) and more.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.
- Completed official Academic Transcripts and Certificates of Completion
- ATAR results
- STAT Test results