What makes people think, feel and behave the way they do? Explore the major fields of psychology including neuroscience, human development, and emotion to gain an understanding of how both nature and nurture shape us as people.
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Forget what you’ve seen in the movies – psychology isn’t just about lying on a couch and talking.
Learn about all the major fields in psychology to gain an understanding of how individual psychological differences develop. You’ll explore perception, emotion, learning, cognition, language, neuroscience and human development through the lifespan, as well as looking at the biological, social, and cultural influences on the individual person.
In doing so you’ll learn how personality and individual differences develop, and the interplay between these things and psychological health and wellbeing. You’ll also gain an understanding of psychological disorders and treatments.
You’ll have the chance to study psychology along with other subjects in science when you choose a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Build special expertise in the areas of psychology that most interest you.
With a focus on the latest research in these fields, you’ll integrate your learning of subject matter with the research methods used to discover new knowledge in these fields.
5 reasons to study Psychology at Murdoch
- This course is a first step towards becoming a registered psychologist.
- Get exposure to how research studies are conducted in your first year units, with participation in ongoing research rewarded with course credit.
- Five-star rating for student-teacher ratio, overall experience, student support and teaching quality.*
*Source:Good Universities Guide 2020
- Build a portfolio of highly sought after technical and interpersonal skills that will give you the opportunity to apply for jobs in a range of industries.
- Develop analytical skills alongside contemporary scientific research methods for investigating human minds and behaviour.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- techniques used by cognitive neuroscientists
- how people think, plan, remember and make decisions
- how biology influences behaviour
- how human beings change and develop through the lifespan
- how society, culture and the people around us influence our behaviour
- how individuals differ in their personality and talents
- psychological disorders, what causes them, and how psychologists can help
- techniques for investigating people’s thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
Your future career
Pursue a career in a wide variety of fields including health, business, and research.
Careers could include:
- Psychologist (with further study)
- Human Resources Officer
- Marketing Officer
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology is accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC). With the addition of a fourth year of study, such as our Graduate Diploma or Honours program, and a fifth year, such as our Master of Applied Psychology (Professional), you will be eligible for provisional registration with the Psychology Board of Australia.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.