Learn about the role of mineral resource processing and metallurgy and develop a deep understanding of the core concepts of mineral science.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Mineral extraction plays an important role in providing the raw materials to support our economic infrastructure. As a mineral scientist, you’ll possess skills from both science and engineering disciplines relevant to manufacturing materials.
In this degree, you’ll master the science of mineral extraction processes, and how to apply a systematic approach to problem solving, using appropriate analytical and technical methods.
Learn from world-class researchers and industry experts to develop a broad range of professional and problem solving skills that are in high demand with employers.
You’ll also gain valuable practical experience by working with industry partners and the community on real world issues, including paid vacation employment.
You can choose both science and engineering electives to broaden your career prospects in the minerals industry. You’ll even have the option of transferring to the Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering or Environment Engineering after successful completion of your first year in Mineral Science.
8 reasons to study Mineral Science
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Engineering*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Overall Experience in Engineering*.
- Make use of our $10.1 million Bayer Pilot Plant – a real world engineering plant with a dedicated control room, the only one of its kind in WA.
- Gain 480 hours of real work experience working with industry partners and the community on real world issues as part of your degree.
- Travel overseas to create positive change through our Engineers Without Borders Program.
- Access great scholarships like the AJ Parker Memorial Scholarship.
- Take the opportunity to gain Honours in Mineral Science by adding a one-year research project, which can be used to apply for higher research degrees or a PhD to further improve your employability.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn
- introduction to the minerals industry
- process mineralogy
- engineering thermodynamics
- principles of mineral processing
Your future career
You could pursue a career at mineral processing and metal extraction plants throughout Australia or overseas. A wide range of career opportunities are available in both traditional and emerging industries, including energy storage batteries and capacitors.
Careers could include:
- Environmental Geologist
- Mill Superintendent
- Mineral Processing Engineer, Consultant or Researcher.
Recommended combined degrees
Our Engineering degrees are accredited by Engineers Australia. As a graduate, you will be eligible to become a professional member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
This course can be completed internally or externally. Students enrolling in units that have a practical component must make allowance for on-campus attendance to complete the practical work. The on-campus sessions for external students are generally held in a one week block for each unit; the dates are published in each unit guide.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.