Teach in a range of settings, in Australia or around the world with this initial teaching qualification, specifically for graduates who hold a Bachelor’s degree in a non-Education field relevant to primary teaching including English, Maths, The Arts, Science, Humanities Languages and Physical Education.
- Full-time or part-time (first year only)
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Full-time or part-time (first year only)
- 1.75 full-time or part-time equivalent
Do you remember your favourite teacher from primary school? Perhaps it was someone you learned a lot from, they taught you new ways of thinking or inspired you in some way. You could be that special teacher for future generations.
The Master of Teaching (Primary) is a 1.75-year full-time (or 2.75 years part-time) initial teaching qualification. The teaching periods are within school terms dates; starting on the first day of the school year (please note that the final year must be completed with full-time enrolment).
This course will enable you to develop the specialist knowledge, skills and capabilities needed to be an effective educator. You will acquire the expert, specialised cognitive and technical skills necessary to practice independently in the classroom. Building on your prior study coupled with extensive professional practice you will be equipped with an advanced skills set to deliver high quality teaching.
Murdoch’s Master of Teaching (Primary) is characterised by a strong connection between university learning and professional experience in schools throughout the program. A blended learning approach is used combining online activities and face-to-face seminars scheduled on one day per week. Authentic assessments will contribute to your professional teaching portfolio. Additional professional learning opportunities to further develop skills in areas such as classroom management and areas of curriculum interest are also offered.
8 reasons to study the Master of Teaching (Primary) at Murdoch
- Study at the first university in Australia, and among only a few in the world, to offer the Tribes TLCTM Basic Course Certification as an accredited postgraduate unit.
- Be mentored by our experienced teaching professionals who are here to support you in becoming a confident, creative and flexible educator.
- Graduate ready for the classroom with an online portfolio to show your experience to future employers.
- Before you start your first prac, you’ll be able to practise dealing with challenging behaviour and conflict resolution through our SimLabTM It’s a virtual workplace that uses actors and avatars – and the only technology of its kind in WA.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Most of our classes take place on one day to enable you to manage your other commitments.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll be taught by leading academics who have worked in industry.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- strategies for effective learning and teaching
- understanding and preparing for the profession of teaching
- how to help children learn numeracy and literacy
- enacting the primary curriculum in mathematics, English, science, humanities and social sciences, the arts, languages and physical education
- exploring how diversity can be accommodated in the classroom.
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to seek registration from the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) and from other accrediting bodies across Australia.
Your specialist skills gained through the Master of Teaching (Primary) will benefit your career progression including opportunities such as enhanced entry level and salary prospects.
- Perth Campus or external
- Not available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Enrolment is subject to restriction due to professional recognition requirements. Prior to placement in any school for Professional Experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances. Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-Education/Professional-Experience Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged. A maximum of 25% of total Professional Experience days in the course may be taken overseas. Part-time study is available for Year One of the course. Students must be available to study full-time in Year Two.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Sorry, this course does not accept admissions for commencement in Semester 2. Please consider starting your studies in Semester 1 of the following year.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.