Explore leading sustainability practices and policy related to energy, water use, waste, climate change, biodiversity, urban planning and land management, international development and sustainability education.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Real change can happen when tomorrow’s sustainable development leaders come together to share their experiences, ideas and insights – and for over a decade our sustainability Masters have been doing just that. In taking the course, you’ll become part of a much-valued group of sustainability professionals who are making a difference within Australia and around the world.
You’ll examine global sustainability challenges and explore inspiring solutions at international, regional and local levels. You’ll learn about urban and regional sustainability, climate change adaptation, sustainability education and ethics, and take a closer look at sustainability and international development within Asia.
You could choose professional-based electives to specialise in project and risk management, ethics, sustainability within businesses, and leading and managing non-government organisations. You might choose policy-based electives to specialise in environmental impact assessment, environmental policy and energy policy.
7 reasons to study Sustainable Development at Murdoch
- As you study, you’ll have the chance to build your professional portfolio of work, completing an internship or practical project for academic credit. Past students have interned with local governments, leading sustainability businesses such as The Forever Project and NGOs such as Perth City Farm.
- During your studies, you’ll have the opportunity to attend field trips, tour innovative projects and meet and learn from some of Australia’s leading sustainability professionals. Field trips range from tours of sustainable farms and businesses within WA’s beautiful south-west region, to award-winning urban redevelopment projects in Perth.
- Travel to Indonesia as part of the Study Indonesia Australian Consortium for 'In-Country' Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) program and earn credits towards your Master.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, analysing data, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll be taught by leading academics who are involved in important sustainable development projects within Australia and overseas. Our experts are working on important development projects, from aid projects in Africa and Asia, to leading sustainability initiatives in the Middle East.
- Follow in the footsteps of other Murdoch free-thinkers who are making a difference and leading the sustainability agenda globally and within Australia. Our graduates have gone on to work at Ikea, Uber and EY.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- Sustainability ecology and communities
- Community, industry and local government
- Cultures, communities and sustainability in Asia
- Climate change adaptation
- Cities and sustainability
- Environmental policy for the 21st Century
- Project and risk management
You’ll graduate with the skills, knowledge and professional insights you need to lead sustainable development teams and projects within international and Australian businesses, government agencies, and non-government organisations.
Careers could include:
- Sustainability or Environmental Officer within business or government
- Community Development Officer
- Sustainability Consultant
- Sustainability Educator
- Eco-preneur (starting and leading green businesses)
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
There may be a reduction in choice of units if completing this course in the external mode.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.