How do we develop renewable and sustainable energy sources to help power the world? Equip yourself to play a professional role to help create a sustainable energy future for our planet.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Renewable energy is a key driver for a sustainable global future, and this course will provide you with the background needed to create a sustainable future for our planet.
This course offers advanced training in the area of renewable and sustainable energy systems, sustainable energy policy and development, energy efficiency and carbon management.
You’ll learn the advanced interdisciplinary skills required to design, optimise and evaluate the technical, social and economic viability of renewable energy schemes.
Gain practical experience and learn from experts from the Murdoch University Energy Research and Innovation Group (MUERI), with the opportunity to undertake a dissertation in an area you’re passionate about.
You’ll graduate with a globally recognised multi-disciplinary degree taught by researchers at the forefront of their fields.
8 reasons to study a Master of Renewable Energy Engineering at Murdoch
- Murdoch University has been at the forefront of energy teaching and research since 1975 and offers the most comprehensive program in renewable energy within Australia.
- Study on your own terms with flexible full or part-time study. All units are offered completely online, allowing you to upskill while you are working.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of specialisation and career goals.
- This course has been developed in conjunction with industry consultants in the energy and carbon industry, with additional units added to the program in response to industry demands and developments.
- Learn from industry and academia experts who have research expertise in renewable energy system design and performance, energy efficient buildings and transport, sustainable energy development, Smart Cities, climate change risk assessments, carbon neutral strategies, energy storage, and biomass technology.
- Take advantage of our teaching and research facilities, including our renewable energy outdoor test area for research and development on solar photovoltaic technology, solar thermal power, wind turbines, hybrid systems and micro-grid technology.
- Utilise our engineering and energy laboratory with battery room, environmental chamber, PV array simulator, power converter testing room, diesel generator room and electric vehicle charging station.
- Our graduates are held in high esteem by government agencies and organisations all over the world. They have secured jobs with the United Nations, the Red Cross, Western Power, GHD, AECOM, Rio Tinto, GE, and Honeywell among others.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- renewable energy systems design
- planning sustainable energy projects in developing countries
- assessing the energy efficiency of buildings
- developing sustainable energy policy
- conducting climate change risks assessment and developing management strategies
- executing a substantial research project in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency and climate change management.
Graduating with a Master of Renewable and Sustainable Energy will give you skills that are in high demand for a range of careers in areas ranging from renewable energy systems design and project management, through to energy and carbon policy, greenhouse gas accounting and energy management.
You could expect to gain employment in the following industries and organisations:
- power generation
- renewable energy manufacturing and installation
- international aid
- government departments
- economic regulatory authorities
- energy efficiency and environmental consultancies
- carbon accounting
- energy and environmental consultancies
- university and private industry research organisations
- local councils.
Successful completion of the unit PEN590 Energy Systems gives you provisional accreditation by the Clean Energy Council for design of stand-alone photovoltaic systems.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
This course is available to external students anywhere in the world who wish to study off campus by using on-line facilities. Assistance is provided by tutors who correspond with students by telephone, email or the Internet.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.