Already have a degree and looking to change professions and work in the accounting industry? This is the course for you.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 year in accelerated mode or 18 months (with study over three semesters) or part-time equivalent.
From mining to music, accounting is vital to every organisation in every industry. It’s an essential part of an organisation’s decision-making, planning, and even performance evaluation.
Learn how to solve problems, negotiate and become a trusted and respected decision-maker in any industry.
After completing this course, you can apply to become a member of professional accounting bodies, including CPA Australia, and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, if your goal is to work in professional accounting.
In your research projects you’ll work with academics, other students and our industry partners, which include government agencies, mining companies, accounting firms, IT service firms and real estate companies.
9 reasons to study a Master of Professional Accounting at Murdoch
- Complete this course in as little as 18 months – and with previous study and experience you could even gain credits for some units and graduate faster.
- Get practical experience in professional placements through our Work Integrated Learning program. Some of our MPA students have interned with major national building suppliers and local businesses.
- Get qualified for a career where your skills will always be in demand regardless of what the economy is doing. There is a strong growth outlook for accountants in the future.
Source: Australian Government’s Department of Jobs of Small Business 2018, Australian Jobs 2018
- We have received a 5-star rating for student support and learner engagement in our business and management programs.
Source: The Good Universities Guide 2019
- Our teaching staff have won teaching excellence awards, secured grant funding from CPA Australia, published journal articles and are actively involved in the industry.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and analysing data, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- Follow in the footsteps of other Murdoch free thinkers and become a part of a global community of leaders. Our alumni now include the CEO of an international airline, the CEO of a major Asian bank, the Managing Director of an advertising agency in Australia and more.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm, or on weekends.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- accounting for managers
- business finance
- accounting processes
- corporate accounting
- taxation principles.
A postgraduate qualification can help you further your current career and move into a more senior role or help you change career paths to pursue new opportunities.
Depending on your own situation and career aspirations, your career could include roles such as:
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Management Accountant
- Tax Accountant
Good financial management is needed across all industries. You could find yourself working in government, media, advertising, finance, and other areas of business or non-government organisations (NGOs).
This course is accredited by CPA Australia and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ).
Please note, if you have been granted credit for previous study this might affect your eligibility for admission to professional accounting bodies, so please speak with your Academic Chair.
We offer this Master of Professional Accounting for domestic students looking to transition into an accounting career from another profession. This degree program would suit teachers, nurses, engineers or any other graduates who might be considering a change of career. We also offer a Master of Professional Accounting (Advanced) for international students.
- Perth Campus or external
- Not available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.