Build quality leadership and management skills to progress your career in the health care industry.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1.5 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Build your skills in leadership and management to further progress your health care career. This course is for you if you currently work in quality, safety, and risk roles within community, mental health, primary and aged care and are looking to transition into a management position, or are currently in a middle management position wishing to progress further.
The course includes a focus on safety and quality to address the increased need for leadership and governance of healthcare for patient safety. It provides the hard and soft skills needed within a clinical context, including leadership and managerial skills, financial management in healthcare, policy and human factor considerations.
As part of the course you’ll undertake hands-on learning through project work, which focuses on an aspect learned within the course that can be applied to a clinical setting. This strong emphasis on professional practice is informed by research evidence, ensuring you have the concepts, insights and practical skills relevant to leading change and driving innovation in the healthcare sector.
6 reasons to study a Master of Health Care Management at Murdoch
- Learn in a virtual classroom in this fully online course to help you fit study into your working life.
- Study on your own terms with flexible full or part-time study.
- Take advantage of free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and analysing data, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- Be taught by leading academics who are qualified nurses with experience across Australia with research expertise in patient safety, leadership, resilience and management.
- Choose to complete an applied health services project through a health industry placement or a health care management research project of your choice, where you’ll design a research project related to health care management.
- Focus on your area of speciality and interest through a choice of innovative and creative elective units.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- safety and quality in health care
- leadership in health care
- bioethics and law for health care leadership
- health policy in Australia and beyond
- managing in a health care environment.
As a graduate of this course you will fulfil industry demand for increased middle management skills. The delivery of high quality services is essential within the health industry, particularly in private and aged care sectors.
Careers could include:
- Accreditation Coordinator
- Quality and Risk Manager
- HR Projects Director
- Health Care Clinic Manager
- Clinical Nurse Manager.
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Access to adequate library resources and to the Internet is essential for external students.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.