This course will develop your knowledge and skills in clinical exercise physiology and allow you to undertake world-leading research in the field of exercise science.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Exercise science is a growing discipline within Australia and worldwide. In this Master degree you’ll develop your skills in prescribing exercise to individuals with complex and chronic conditions while developing your research skills.
In your first year of study you’ll learn through coursework, as well as undertaking an internship within Murdoch’s Exercise Science Research program. The course culminates in a research project, in which you’ll address a current issue in exercise science. This issue may range from needing to improve sports performance in elite athletes, to personalising an exercise program aimed at improving health in individuals living with chronic conditions or diseases.
This course will benefit graduates of sports and exercise programs looking to develop both clinical and research skills, or those hoping to proceed to higher degrees but lacking in the conventional background.
5 reasons to study a Master of Exercise Science (Research) at Murdoch
- The discipline of Exercise Science at Murdoch University is ranked in the top 100 in the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Sport Science Schools and Departments (2017-2018).
- Murdoch’s exercise science research program is rated ‘Above World Standard’ in the current Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) Assessment Report 2015.
- Build your skills in a supportive learning environment, working closely with lecturers to benefit from their skills and experience.
- Learn in purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities that include a dedicated exercise physiology laboratory, a rehabilitation and strength and conditioning laboratory, and a performance laboratory complete with a 3D motion capture system and a 50-metre running track.
- Develop hands-on experience working alongside active researchers on multiple research projects as part of a research internship.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- neuromuscular rehabilitation assessment and techniques
- metabolic condition diagnosis, prevention and rehabilitation
- cardiopulmonary assessment and rehabilitation techniques
- evidence-based practice in exercise and rehabilitation science
- research methods for exercise science and rehabilitation.
Pursue a variety of roles in both public and private health care environments, sports academies, institutes of sports, sports science labs and professional and amateur sporting clubs. You could also work in a range of industries including the private sector, universities, and government institutions.
Careers could include:
- Sports and Exercise Scientist
- Strength and Conditioning Coach.
You can also use this course as a pathway to undertake a Doctor of Physiology.
Importantly, completion of this program does not lead to accreditation as an Exercise Physiologist with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA). Please see our Graduate Diploma in Clinical Exercise Physiology for that pathway.
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.