Play a key role in protecting and increasing one of Australia’s most valuable resources by gaining the skills to design, operate and monitor municipal, industrial and even small-scale water treatment processes.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
This course will prepare you for a professional career in the water industry. When you graduate from this course, you’ll be able to design, engineer, operate and troubleshoot broad spectrum and specialised water treatment processes, not only for conventional potable water and wastewater quality applications, but also for more targeted industrial, agricultural and resource recovery needs.
As part of the course, you will address water treatment engineering to meet decentralised and developing population demands. You’ll cover the new emphasis on integration of renewable energy, minimisation of non-beneficial residuals, and increased resilience and sustainability of water supplies.
You’ll build a strong grounding in the fundamentals of water engineering and learn how to apply this knowledge within industry, through the professional practice element within the course.
As a graduate, you will be skilled in the use of tools, algorithms, hardware and software and state-of-the-art approaches for water purification.
6 reasons to study a Master of Water Treatment and Desalination at Murdoch
- The 2019 Good Universities Guide has ranked Murdoch first in Australia for teaching quality and overall experience for engineering and first in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering.
- Study on your own terms with flexible full or part-time study.
- Learn from industry experts who have research and consulting expertise in water desalination development and implementation.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of focus and career goals.
- Take advantage of our scholarships, such as the Murdoch University Academic Excellence Award.
- Prepare for your role as a professional engineer, by completing 12 weeks of engineering professional practice as part of the course.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- advanced water treatment design
- decentralised and industrial water treatment
- desalination technology and modelling
- water engineering intuition and analysis
- biological and physiochemical water treatment operations.
This course will prepare you for either entry into the water treatment and desalination infrastructure and processes; or for matriculation into a doctoral program of research on the theory, analysis, design, invention, and application of water purification processes and technology.
You could expect to gain employment in:
- municipal water and wastewater utilities
- governmental departments of water and natural resources
- private or public irrigation
- water resource management entities
- mining and mineral refining
- semi-conductor manufacturing
- food and beverage processing.
This course is designed to satisfy requirements of Engineers Australia for Continuing Professional Education of Engineers, in the disciplines of environmental engineering, water engineering, and chemical engineering in the areas of water process control, technology, and management.
Graduates are eligible to apply for professional membership in Engineers Australia.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Some units in this course are offered in a flexible delivery mode, allowing candidates to complete some of their studies at home or at their workplace.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.