Explore critical issues in educational practice, policy and research through completion of a research dissertation.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1.5 years full-time or part-time equivalent
This three-semester research degree will provide you with the skills required to be a successful leader in the education sector, capable of addressing critical issues in educational practice, policy and research.
This course is designed for teachers, educational leaders, administrators, and other education professionals seeking to extend and deepen their expertise, undergo professional development and renewal, or proceed to a higher degree.
In this research-classified course, you will undertake a research dissertation (24 points) and coursework (12 points). This course will provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to enhance your teaching, leadership and/or administration roles within the education field. On completion of this qualification, you will be eligible to enrol in a PhD.
6 reasons to study the Master of Education by Research at Murdoch
- Be mentored by our experienced education professionals who are here to support you in becoming a confident, creative and flexible educator.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Specialise in your chosen research area.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm, or on weekends.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll be taught by leading academics who have professional experience and internationally recognised research in education.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- research methodologies used in educational and social science research
- critical analysis of a topic of educational research.
You’ll graduate qualified for high-level professional roles in the education and community sector. Careers could include:
- Head of Department
- School Leader
- Program Leader or Designer
- Advisor to Government
- University Lecturer/Tutor.
This qualification will provide evidence of professional learning for registration and re-registration as a teacher.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Internet access is a requirement for all external students.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.