Are you ready to make a difference? Build your knowledge and skills to effectively address the development challenges of poverty, inequality and environmental sustainability internationally.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Determined to pursue a career in international development and make a difference? This course will prepare you for a range of experiences and roles in the sector, in Australia and internationally.
You’ll examine the connections between politics, governance and development, social and environmental sustainability, food and health security, gender and empowerment, and state building and conflict, as well as evaluating different approaches to policy and practice.
You can choose from professional-based electives, including financial administration, leading and managing not-for-profit organisations, effective leadership, strategic health care management and project management.
You can also choose policy-based electives to specialise in global public health, public sector economics, security and conflict, environmental policy and more, or add up to two language units in either Indonesian or Japanese.
4 reasons to study a Master of Development Studies at Murdoch
- Undertake a case study project, supervised internship or research thesis to put your learning into practice.
- Travel to Indonesia as part of the Study Indonesia Australian Consortium for 'In-Country' Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) program to pursue a semester or summer development practicum.
- Choose full-time or part-time options to help you fit study into your working and or family life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Be taught by experts who are active researchers for development impact in Asia and Africa.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- public policy and international affairs foundations
- critical approaches to development
- development and sustainability
- states, social forces and development
- policy research and evaluation.
You’ll graduate with the skills and knowledge you need to pursue a career in international development in a broad range of settings, such as regional and international organisations, government agencies, consultancy firms, and non-government organisations (NGOs) involved in development.
Careers could include:
- Campaign and Advocacy Officer
- International Programs Officer/Manager
- Partnerships Officer/Manager
- Gender Analyst/Consultant
- Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
- Water and Sanitation Advisor
- Humanitarian Response Coordinator.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.