Learn how artistic expression can be a powerful healing tool and gain the clinical training required to become a professionally recognised Creative Arts Therapist.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
As WA’s only master’s in creative arts therapies, this course is committed to experiential learning through expressive arts psychotherapies in workshops, clinical practice and clinical supervision. You will learn to critically appraise arts psychotherapy literature and gain an understanding of both theoretical knowledge and hands-on creative arts psychotherapy practice.
Explore the newly-emerging theory in this area of counselling and gain the hands-on experience that will prepare you to work in a diverse range of clinical and non-clinical contexts, in which building relationships is a key component.
This course builds on study in our already-established Graduate Diploma in Creative Arts Therapies. Students who hold this qualification will be granted advanced standing in the Master.
7 reasons to study the Master of Creative Arts Therapies
- Learn in a highly experiential environment at our purpose built creative arts therapies spaces at our Mandurah Campus.
- Study the only university Creative Arts Therapies course in Western Australia.
- Study on your own terms – we offer flexible study arrangements allowing you to study full-time or part-time.
- Take advantage of our scholarships such as the Murdoch University Academic Excellence Award and Postgraduate Access and Equity Scholarship.
- Customise your degree depending on your career goals, through a choice of electives and research units.
- Understand the breadth and depth working with the creative arts brings to the therapeutic relationship.
- Develop your current qualifications and training to take part in an international community of Creative Arts Therapies professionals that is expanding and strengthening nationally and globally.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- using creative arts therapies practices in your therapeutic work
- engaging creatively with children and adolescents seeking mental health support
- exploring your professional strengths and motivations through the use of creative arts materials and methods
- engaging in creative arts therapy interventions experientially through small group work
- reading and talking about contemporary research, theory and professional practice of Creative Arts Therapists internationally.
Creative arts therapies are a form of psychotherapy currently growing in acceptance and popularity in Australia and globally. Counsellors and therapists using artistic modalities such as visual arts, music dance/movement and drama may work with children, adolescents, adults, older adults, groups and families to promote expression, self-awareness and insight. Work settings include schools, hospitals, aged care, crisis centres, wellness centres, detention facilities, remand facilities and addiction treatment. Experienced professionals may also utilise art therapy in private practice.
Combined with your existing experience and qualifications your career as a Creative Arts Therapist can begin anywhere and be used in any role where building relationships is a key component. Your skills can be applied in roles such as:
- Counsellor/Advocate in a crisis centre
- Children’s Therapist in a family bereavement service
- Group Worker in a women’s prison
- Addictions Specialist in an alcohol and drug rehabilitation service.
You may already be in your dream job and this qualification will provide a stepping stone to enhancing your skills and increasing your potential.
- Mandurah campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Enrolment may be subject to restriction due to limited equipment and facilities, and professional accreditation requirements, such as completion of clinical placement hours and supervision requirements.
International students who are required to complete within Visa time frames please see above entry.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.