This course will give you the skills you need to become a master communicator. Whether your goal is career progression, research or academia, this masters degree will help you upskill and extend your personal development.
- Full-time or part-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Informed by global research and best practice in a range of topics including social media, cultural and media studies, global communication and strategic communication, this degree will extend your personal development and professional expertise, allowing you to apply it to a range of industries and disciplines.
This course is designed for communication professionals wanting to develop their existing knowledge and skills, and those new to communications wanting to explore a different career direction or study path.
Create strategic communication and research plans for real life clients through in-class and work integrated learning experiences. You’ll analyse and implement the latest practices in communication in both international and Australian contexts through the analysis of case studies and real-life scenarios led by academics and industry guest speakers. Examine the purposes and means by which leaders, organisations and interest groups create, coordinate and direct communication through strategy, planning, and engagement with society, the media and government.
8 reasons to study a Master of Communication at Murdoch
- Put theory into practice with professional placements through our Work Integrated Learning program which includes the opportunity to work in our on campus consultancy, MESH. You’ll learn through working with real clients on real projects.
- Be mentored by leaders in the field, who champion research in social and consumer contexts.
- Be taught by leading academics who work with industry and academic partners on research and practice projects. You’ll also learn through industry guest lectures.
- This course can be completed in as little as 1.5 years and your previous study and experience might mean you can gain credit for some units and graduate earlier.
- Customise your degree, with the choice of professional coursework or research with a thesis that could contribute to a higher degree by research.
- Choose full-time or part-time, on-campus options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm, or on weekends.
- Take advantage of free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and analysing data, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- critical and ethical issues in communication
- web strategy
- strategic communication
- public relations, communication and culture
- people, corporates and globalisation in communication.
The Master of Communication will prepare you for executive, managerial and entrepreneurial positions in communication and media related fields.
Careers could include:
- Strategic Communication Consultant
- Media or Communications Advisor
- PR Consultant
- Community Engagement Officer
- Stakeholder Relations Manager
- Policy Advisor
- Digital Strategist.
Depending on your own career aspirations, you could pursue a career in industry or continue to study and research.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.