If you’re an IT professional looking to pursue a senior management role, specialise in data science and advance your IT career, this is the program for you.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 2 years full-time or part-time equivalent
As data-driven decision-making is becoming essential for organisations of all sizes, a question that arises is whether managers of the future should pursue a Data Science or a Business Administration postgraduate degree. This course uniquely lets you combine both.
As an IT professional, you need both business acumen and highly-specialised discipline skills to take your career into the future. This combined qualification will give you the skills you need to address a gap in the market and boost your IT career opportunities.
You’ll develop specialist skills in business and data analytics so you can work with big data and combine data science with business management. The industry is always changing – so we collaborate with industry, advisory boards and integrate feedback from students to make sure the course content keeps up with the needs of today’s workplace.
You’ll gain valuable knowledge and business insights, and also develop greater self-awareness as you learn to reflect on your leader identity and leadership attributes. You’ll work closely with our academic team, and choose electives from business management and economics to create a specialist qualification to suit your goals and career aspirations.
10 reasons to study a combined MBA and Master of IT in Data Science at Murdoch
- This is the only combined course of its kind in Australia.
- Complete two Masters qualifications in just two years. Along the way, you’ll gain a competitive advantage in your career and the skills you need for success in a challenging environment.
- We have received a 5-star rating for student support and learner engagement in our Business and Management programs.
Source: The Good Universities Guide 2019
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, a cutting-edge learning teaching and research facility, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Murdoch has received a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems.
Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm or on weekends.
- Take advantage of free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- Be taught by leading academics of international standing and with industrial experience.
- Put theory into practice with professional placements through our Work Integrated Learning program. MBA and IT students have the possibility to undertake internships with leading companies and industries in WA and Australia.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- IT project management
- organisational behaviour and management
- artificial intelligence
- strategies for growth and excellence
- big data.
A postgraduate qualification can help you further your current career and move into a more senior role or help you change career paths to pursue new opportunities. Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) reports that postgraduates earn on average $20,000 more than those with an undergraduate degree.
Depending on your own situation and career aspirations, there are many careers and positions that this course can lead to. Careers could include:
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Strategy Director
- Business Operations Manager
- Artificial Intelligence or Data Scientist
- Business Intelligence and Research Manager.
Good management and data analysis skills are needed across all industries. You could find yourself working in government, media, advertising, finance, other areas of business or non-government organisations (NGOs).
- Perth campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
The applicant would have to demonstrate competence in statistical methods and analysis to the satisfaction of the Academic Chair to be considered for admission.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.