Learn about the biological foundations of the oceans, the diversity of marine life, and how species interact with the aquatic environment. Explore how humans are impacting the oceans, and the likely response of marine life to climate and environmental changes.
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
It is estimated that up to 80% of all life on earth exists in the ocean – it could be even more considering less than 10% of the ocean has been explored by humans.
Forget swimming with dolphins and looking a coral – although there’s every chance you’ll get to do that at some point in your degree – a major in Marine Biology will ensure you develop a detailed understanding of the biota and ecological processes of marine environments. Gain an appreciation of the diversity of marine life, the interactions between species and biota, and the physical environment.
With a strong emphasis on fundamental biological principles and how these underpin successful marine management, you’ll cover topics including fish, wildlife populations and ecology, aquaculture and human impacts, through extensive field work and practical learning.
6 reasons to study Marine Biology
- Every unit you study will have laboratory sessions or fieldwork – our majors are much more hands-on than other courses in WA, so you’ll be job ready when you graduate.
- You’ll put theory into context on local and global scales with real-life examples and a holistic approach to teaching.
- Learn in industry standard laboratories, like the marine and freshwater research laboratory, equipped with world class research instruments.
- Benefit from immersive teaching throughout the course, with most units providing extensive hands-on laboratory or field experience, something you won’t experience in other WA courses.
- Have the opportunity to participate in several field camps, including a 5-day research camp to Point Peron in your third year.
- Head to Coral Bay for a 10 day field camp if you choose to study optional third year unit, Tropical Marine Biology.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- animal diversity
- marine ecology
- marine botany
- animal speciation, radiation and evolution
- fish and wildlife populations.
Your future career
A Marine Biology major will create opportunities in a range of environmental related fields, across industries.
Careers could include:
- Aquatic Ecologist
- Marine Policy and Planning Officer
- Fisheries Biologist
- Coastal Community Officer
- Marine Biologist in marine-based tourism.
You will find jobs in marine policy and planning in government, marine and coastal environmental groups and consultancies, industry sectors such as aquaculture, fisheries and marine-based tourism and University and Government-funded marine research institutions.
Recommended double majors
- Biological Sciences
- Conservation and Wildlife Biology
- Environmental Management and Sustainability
- Environmental Science
- Marine Science.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.