Want to turn your love of travel and working with people into the kind of career where every day is different? This course will give you the skills, knowledge and experience you need.
- Full-time or part-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Full-time or part-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
If you love the idea of working overseas or helping people experience what Australia has to offer, a degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management could take you anywhere.
Learn about hospitality and tourism management, and how the industry is always changing. Explore sustainable tourism and discover how you can use data to help predict trends for a particular place or region.
At Murdoch, we help you learn by doing, so your assessments will be based on real life, rather than theory. You’ll learn business management principles and be mentored through a range of projects as you learn to use research in making business decisions.
7 reasons to study Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Work with real organisations on real projects, and complete internships through our work integrated learning program. Some of our students have interned with the Tourism Council of WA, Rottnest Island Authority, travel agencies and more.
- Develop the kind of management, negotiation and problem-solving skills that will help you in any career path you choose, in a rapidly-changing world.
- Turn your passion for travel into a career where you can make a difference.
- Solve real business problems and experience the many perspectives you’ll find in the workplace as you work with other commerce students who are specialising in other areas.
- Learn from some of WA’s top tourism experts who have worked in the industry and are actively involved in tourism research.
- You might be eligible for our MasterClass program, where you could complete a postgraduate qualification while studying your undergraduate degree. We are the only Australian university to offer this opportunity.
- Combine your degree or take on a double major in another area to expand your career prospects even further. You could choose to double major in with Global Business and Politics to get insights into both the business and political world. This option is only available in a Bachelor of Commerce – and only at Murdoch.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- destination management
- hospitality and tourism
- sustainable tourism
- tourism and hospitality law
- strategic management.
Your future career
You could work in a wide range of roles in the travel and tourism, hospitality or retail industries.
Careers could include:
- Hospitality Manager
- Convention Services Manager
- Hotel Sales, Marketing and Public Relations Director
- Tour Operator
- Travel Retailer or Guide.
You could also work for government agencies, non-government organisations (NGOs) or even start your own business.
Recommended double majors
Recommended combined degrees
For more details about this course, please download our information pack.
- Perth Campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.
- Completed official Academic Transcripts and Certificates of Completion
- ATAR results
- STAT Test results