Develop the critical skills needed by Safety Scientists to recognise, evaluate and control situations to prevent harm to people, property, and the environment.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 year full-time or part-time equivalent
The welfare and protection of people in the workplace from incidents such as accidents, explosions, fires, and generally health-threatening conditions is the responsibility of industry and government agencies. Their role is to avoid costs for individuals, workplaces and the entire nation. This has created a huge demand for professionals with qualifications in Safety Science, as employers are hiring staff to manage and minimise such risks. Experts in this expanding field range from social scientists to engineers.
In this course, you’ll cover the disciplines of science, safety, health and environment and will gain a valuable insight into engineering, systems analysis, management, human relations and communications. This will equip you with the cutting-edge knowledge pertinent to understanding the behavioural-based safety and risk management policies.
You’ll also develop the essential employment requirements that businesses demand of OSH professionals, such as knowledge of process safety and engineering concepts to improve safety culture, behavioural-based safety and change management principles.
5 reasons to study a Graduate Diploma in Safety Science at Murdoch
- The 2019 Good Universities Guide has ranked Murdoch first in Australia for teaching quality and overall experience for engineering and first in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering.
- Study on your own terms – with the option to study full-time or part-time, you can upskill whilst you’re still earning.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of focus and career goals.
- Learn from industry experts who have research expertise in biosafety and in handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Take advantage of our scholarships, such as the Murdoch University Academic Excellence Award.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- fire and explosion safety
- electrical and chemical process safety
- work and well being
- chemistry of combustion
- safety in mining industry.
This course is designed for working professionals who wish to advance their career in this growing field. It also provides the opportunity for recent graduates to gain post-graduate qualifications in Safety Science and enhance their employment opportunities.
Careers could include:
- industrial or government organisations
- occupational safety and health
- building surveyors or certifiers and fire service firms
- industrial hygiene and occupational hygiene
- fire prevention and protection
- system and product safety.
- Perth Campus (some units external)
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Candidates are assumed to have some prior knowledge and must have passed the following units at Murdoch or their equivalent elsewhere: MAS221 Mathematical Modelling (desirable) ENG201 Fluid Mechanics (desirable) CHE144 Foundations of Chemistry (essential) PEN152 Principles of Physics (essential) ENG203 Heat Transfer (desirable)
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.