Update and enhance your existing qualifications and skills in electrical power, process control, instrumentation and industrial computer systems engineering.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 year full-time or part-time equivalent
This course is ideal for practising professionals who wish to update their existing qualifications and/or enhance their skills in the areas of electrical power, process control, instrumentation and/or industrial computer systems engineering.
Depending on your area of focus and career goals you can select an area of specialisation to help develop the skills you need as practising professional.
A focus on electrical power and industrial computer systems engineering will provide you with skills and knowledge of power system components and the effects of distributed resources, such as rooftop photovoltaic and energy storage, and demand response on power delivery networks. You’ll also learn about the use and application of computing technologies in the operation of modern energy systems, industrial plants, manufacturing processes and material processing industries.
A focus on Instrumentation Control and Industrial Computer Systems will provide you with skills and knowledge of classical and advanced control systems concepts. You’ll use engineering software packages to model and simulate processes. You’ll also learn how to design and implement appropriate control systems and evaluate the performance of those systems in our Instrumentation and Control laboratory.
Successful completion of this course provides a clear pathway into the second year of the Master of Engineering.
7 reasons to study a Graduate Diploma in Engineering at Murdoch
- The 2019 Good Universities Guide has ranked Murdoch first in Australia for teaching quality and overall experience for engineering and first in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering.
- Study on your own terms with flexible full or part-time study.
- Specialise your degree depending on your area of focus and career goals.
- Learn from industry experts who have research expertise in instrumentation and control engineering, industrial computer systems engineering, renewable and electrical power engineering.
- Benefit from hands-on learning by exploring state-of-the art technologies, including programmable logic controllers (PLC), supervisory control and data acquisition systems (SCADA) as used by industry.
- Our laboratory facilities will give the opportunity to design and test industrial control systems and gain hands-on experiences in programming, networking and interfacing to instruments.
- Take advantage of our scholarships, such as the Murdoch University Academic Excellence Award.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- computer-based measurement and control
- power systems modelling and analysis
- power electronics
- continuous and discrete time systems
- control systems and process dynamics
- programmable logic controllers (PLC).
This course will enhance your engineering knowledge and skills to prepare you for a range of careers in manufacturing, medical, mining, processing energy supply, communications, electronics, computer systems and defence-related industries.
Careers could include:
- Electrical Engineer
- Control and lnstrumentation Engineer
- Control Systems Engineer
- Functional Safety Engineer
- Industrial Network Engineer
- Systems Assurance Engineer
- Energy Systems Designer.
This course is designed to maintain and/or further the needs of Continuing Professional Education of Engineers in the areas of electrical power, instrumentation and control and/or industrial computer systems engineering.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.