Are you a business professional working towards a more senior role and wanting to get a better understanding of negotiation and dispute resolution? Gain skills in managing workplace and customer relations through learning about various dispute resolution methods.
- 1 semester full-time
Managing relationships and differences in the workplace, whether that be within a team, customers or other stakeholders, is a crucial skill to have as a manager.
Learn dispute resolution methods including negotiation, mediation and arbitration. You’ll learn about the processes involved in the various different dispute resolution methods and get experience in resolving disputes through case studies and role-playing in class.
You might also have the chance to use avatars and virtual reality (VR) to prepare you for real life scenarios. We are the first university in Australia to introduce VR in this way.
This course focuses on negotiating strategies, tactics and processes and considers the impact and sensitivities of culture, gender and emotions during the negotiating process. These can be implemented across many different industries including banking, health care, insurance, workers compensation and family dispute resolution.
7 reasons to study a Graduate Certificate in Negotiation at Murdoch
- Broaden your professional communication skills, or pursue a career change with the skills you will learn in this course.
- Practice your negotiation and mediation skills in a variety of simulation settings.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm, or on weekends.
- Take advantage of free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and analysing data, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- Learn from academics who have worked in industry and can share their experiences with you. Our academics are lawyers, international trade negotiators, nationally accredited mediators, company directors and more.
- Units completed in this course count as course credit for our Master of Business if you want to take your studies further and custom build your own Master.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- organisational behaviour and management
- international business negotiations
- dispute resolution.
A postgraduate qualification can help you further your current career and move into a more senior role or help you change career paths to pursue new opportunities. Depending on your own situation and career aspirations, there are many careers and positions that this course can lead to.
Alternative dispute resolution processes can be applied to many careers and occupations in the areas of mediation, arbitration and conciliation.
Careers could include:
- Conflict Resolution Mediator or Manager
- Dispute Resolution Officer
- Customer Resolutions Consultant
- Complaints Manager
- Client Liaison Specialist
- Dispute Assessment Officer.
You could work for government agencies as a conflict specialist and help settle cultural conflicts or you could work for a corporation as a neutral individual to settle internal organisational disputes.
- Perth campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.