Become an energy champion and help address climate change by developing your knowledge and skills in renewable and sustainable energy, as well as energy and carbon management.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 semester full-time or part-time equivalent
The Paris Agreement on climate change, growing world populations and limited fossil fuel resources have all created increased demand for renewable energy. How we increase supply, and integrate renewable energy into the current energy supply sector is driving the demand for professionals with climate change skills across the Asia Pacific region and Australia to serve as leaders of the emerging "green" economy.
Develop the critical skills needed for the energy and carbon industries, and apply them to the challenges of global environmental and social change. Our industry-focussed units will equip you with skills such as energy auditing, carbon accounting, designing renewable energy systems, preparing energy policy briefs for government and developing corporate carbon management strategies.
After graduating from this course, you may apply to study the Graduate Diploma in Energy and Carbon Studies.
7 reasons to study a Graduate Certificate in Energy and Carbon Studies at Murdoch
- Murdoch University has been at the forefront of energy teaching and research since 1975 and offers the most comprehensive suite of postgraduate course on energy and carbon studies within Australia.
- Study on your own terms with flexible full or part-time study - all units are offered completely online, allowing you to upskill while you are working.
- The course has been developed in conjunction with energy and carbon consultants, so you’ll graduate with the skills needed by industry.
- Learn from industry and academia experts who have research expertise in renewable energy system design and performance, energy efficient buildings and transport, sustainable energy development, Smart Cities, climate change risk assessments, carbon neutral strategies, energy storage, and biomass technology.
- Take advantage of our teaching and research facilities, including our renewable energy outdoor test area for research and development on solar photovoltaic technology, solar thermal power, wind turbines, hybrid systems and micro-grid technology.
- Our research findings are incorporated into the course materials, so you’ll learn the latest knowledge in the industry as soon as it’s available.
- Our graduates are held in high esteem by government agencies and organisations all over the world. They have secured jobs with the United Nations, the Red Cross, Western Power, GHD, AECOM, Rio Tinto, GE, and Honeywell among others.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- energy auditing and reporting
- carbon accounting and reporting
- developing corporate energy and carbon management strategies
- how to analyse energy policy and write a policy brief for government
- how to design a renewable energy system.
This course is designed to give you industry relevant skills that are internationally recognised and in high demand as the world transitions to a low-emissions energy sector
You could expect to gain employment in the following industries and organisations:
- power generation
- renewable energy manufacturing and installation
- government departments
- international aid
- economic regulatory authorities
- energy efficiency and environmental consultancies
- carbon accounting
- energy and environmental consultancies
- university and private industry research organisations
- local councils.
Successful completion of the unit PEN590 Energy Systems gives you provisional accreditation by the Clean Energy Council for design of stand-alone photovoltaic systems.
- Perth Campus or external
- Not available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
This course is available to external students anywhere in the world who wish to study off campus using on-line materials. Assistance is provided by tutors by telephone, email or the Internet. External students usually study part-time, completing the certificate over one year or more.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.