Use your mathematical knowledge and expertise to inspire the next generation of problem solvers with the practical skills and knowledge you need to teach lower secondary mathematics.
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- 1 year part-time
Teaching mathematics gives you the chance to inspire future problem-solvers, explore new ways of thinking and influence a generation of thinkers.
If you’re already a qualified teacher, this one-year part-time course will give you the qualification you need to teach lower secondary mathematics, from Year 7 to Year 10.
You’ll learn mathematics and statistics for secondary teaching, secondary mathematics curriculum and practical methods of instruction.
The specialist skills you gain will give you a wider range of career options – for example, if you are a primary school teacher who would like to explore secondary teaching opportunities.
5 reasons to study Education (Secondary Mathematics 7-10) at Murdoch
- Be mentored by our experienced teaching professionals who are here to support you in becoming a confident, creative and flexible mathematics teacher.
- Our part-time, on-campus or online options help you fit study into your working life.
- Get involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, and presentation skills as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll have dedicated Student Success Advisors to help you along your postgraduate journey.
- Develop specialist skills that will provide you with a wider breadth of career opportunities and make you more attractive to prospective employers.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- Mathematics for Teaching Secondary (7-10)
- Statistics for Teaching Secondary (7-10)
- Teaching Secondary Mathematics (7-10)
- Practical Methods of Instruction for Secondary School Science and Mathematics.
As a Murdoch graduate, you’ll join a group of teachers employed in government and non-government schools and other education-related occupations across Australia and throughout the world. This graduate certificate will give you the practical skills and knowledge required to teach lower secondary mathematics.
- Perth Campus (some units external)
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.