Are you passionate about the role of food in health and wellbeing, human performance and illness prevention? Build your skills in human nutrition bioscience, food science and food biotechnology, nutrition marketing, sports nutrition, food production, agri-nutrition and nutrigenomics research.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
This course prepares you for a career in many fields relating to the promotion of health at individual and community levels through the improvement of the food supply. You’ll study subjects such as the chemistry of food, human physiology, food analysis, food safety, food preparation, food product development, the impact of nutrition on human health, disease and sports performance, and the social and public health aspects of nutrition.
6 reasons to study Bachelor of Food Science and Nutrition at Murdoch
- Five-star rating for overall experience, teaching quality and skills development for Health Services & Support.*
*Source: Good Universities Guide 2020
- You’ll study in the heart of the Murdoch Health Precinct, which includes public and private hospitals and leading medical research institute, the Australian National Phenome Centre.
- Take advantage of our living labs to grow your food production research knowledge, including at our Whitby Falls farm on the outskirts of Perth.
- You’ll complete a fieldwork placement with food industries or health organisations.
- You’ll be well prepared to work in Australia or internationally in professional positions in the health and food industries.
- If you plan to study postgraduate dietetics (or other medical or health-related courses) you’ll be well prepared to apply when you complete this course.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- the role of food and nutrition in human health and illness prevention
- food composition knowledge and cooking / culinary skills
- novel food product design
- the role of food and nutrition in sport performance and cognitive performance
- an understanding of food and its impacts on the human microbiome.
When you graduate from this course you are likely to find work in a health field, in the food sector or a human nutrition science field. Employers may include metropolitan or regional community health centres, government organisations in food policy, non-government health organisations, food industries, food manufacturers, food marketing, sports clubs, and hospital food service facilities.
Careers could include:
- Nutritionist or Public Health Nutritionist
- Food Scientist or Technologist
- Product Manager
- Food Safety Officer
- Food Marketing and Food Media
- Manager in educational health and wellbeing and community programs.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Food Science and Nutrition may apply for membership with the Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA). Membership may be subject to additional requirements such as work experience in the field and ongoing professional development following completion of the degree. Completion of core units in food science and food biotechnology will enable you to apply for membership of the Australian Institute of Food Science Technology (AIFST).
Graduates of this course will have completed the pre-requisite requirements for entry into postgraduate courses in dietetics.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.