Whether you want to travel the world, coach young people or inspire the next generation of thinkers, this degree will give you valuable experience and a competitive edge to launch your secondary teaching career.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 4 years Full-time or part-time equivalent. Mid year commencement may result in a longer duration due to unit availability.
Get the qualification you need to teach students from Years 7 to 12 in a teaching area you’re passionate about. You can choose to major in one of these areas:
- Advanced Mathematics
- Biology and Environmental Science
- Biology and Human Biology
- Earth and Environmental Science
- History (HASS*)
- Health & Physical Education
- Geography and Economics (HASS*)
- Politics (HASS*).
*ATAR Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) subject
You will also choose a second teaching area (known as a minor), except for Health and Physical Education which must be combined together. If you choose either Physics or Chemistry as a major, then you must select Mathematics as a minor.
You’ll explore the role of education in society, learn how to manage a secondary level classroom and get valuable experience working in school placements across the secondary years. By having qualifications in two teaching areas, you will have a competitive advantage with a variety of employers across Australia and overseas.
8 reasons to study Secondary Teaching at Murdoch
- Five-star rating for median salary for Education and Training.*
*Source: Good Universities Guide 2020
- Study at the first university in Australia, and among only a few in the world, to offer the Tribes TLCTM Basic Course Certification as an accredited undergraduate.
- Join the only teaching program in WA where you can apply for a two-week school placement in Thailand with your flights, visas and accommodation paid for by the government.
- Before you start your first prac, you’ll be able to start to develop your teaching skills, practice dealing with challenging behaviour, and try parent-teacher interviews and other situations in a safe environment through our SimLabTM technology. It’s a virtual classroom using actors and avatars – and the only technology of its kind in WA.
- Have the opportunity to apply for our year-long Internship where you are immersed in a school, enhancing your skills and qualities to be work-ready for your teaching career.
- Graduate ready for the classroom with both a major and minor teaching area and an online portfolio to share your experience with future employers and to respond to Teacher Registration requirements.
- If you’re interested in teaching within Catholic schools, you can add Catholic education electives to your degree.
- If you’re passionate about sports, you’ll find opportunities to coach sports in schools with sports’ specialisations, coach students with disabilities and promote physical education for all abilities.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- living and learning with technology
- language for learning and teaching
- adolescent health and development
- creating and managing effective learning environments
- country, cultures, peoples: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives across the curriculum.
Your future career
This course will give you the qualification you need to be a secondary teacher in high schools from Years 7 to 12.
Murdoch University is currently in the process of seeking accreditation for this new course, and expects to receive recognition from the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia, and the state, Catholic and independent schools, departments, organisations and associations.
For more details about this course, please download our information pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Enrolment is subject to restriction due to professional recognition requirements. Prior to placement in any school for Professional Experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances. Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website. Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged. A maximum of 25% of total Professional Experience days in the course may be taken overseas. Please note the following requirements for Teacher Registration in Australia: Students admitted to Initial Teacher Education programs on the basis of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment, or an equivalent English language proficiency assessment, must have attained an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 7.5 (with no score below 7 in any of the four skills areas, and a score of no less than 8 in speaking and listening), either on entry to or on graduation from the program.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.