You could play a leading role in the fight against disease, criminal investigation, chemistry education, developing sustainable industrial processes or discovering new materials.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
The importance of Chemistry to our everyday lives cannot be understated. Chemistry is everywhere – from the combination of substances to generate new drugs, to how your egg goes from raw to cooked – and its used across a multitude of industries to solve some of the world’s biggest problems.
Develop both your chemical skill set, plus a broad range of professional, problem solving and personal skills that are widely sought by employers.
If you’re interested in the nature of everything around you, chemistry will set you up for a diverse career across a range of industries.
6 reasons to study Chemistry at Murdoch
- Chemistry is applied in diverse industries – you’ll have the option to work across almost any field you choose to, from engineering to health.
- Take your career global and work overseas with a chemistry degree.
- Get hands on experience with modern instrumentation in our well-equipped chemistry labs.
- Have the opportunity to undertake projects and get a taste for chemistry research.
- Learn about chemistry in the context of its broad sub disciplines, as well as gaining a good grounding in mathematics and physics.
- Build practical skills through laboratory classes, the cornerstone of applying chemistry theory to real problems.
What you’ll learnBuild the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- chemical knowledge in the broad sub disciplines
- laboratory skills
- molecular modelling
- analytical chemistry with modern instrumentation
- collaborative and communication skills.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Environmental Science
- Forensic Biology and Toxicology
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Physics and Nanotechnology.
Your future career
Employment opportunities for Chemistry graduates are bright with future growth predicted by the Australian Government for this sector, especially if you combine this major with other disciplines.
Careers could include:
- Analytical Chemist
- Clinical Biochemist
- Forensic Scientist or Toxicologist
- Chemical Development or Process Engineer
- Science Writer.
When you graduate, you could pursue a career in research, teaching, the arts, and business. You could even explore roles in law and accounting firms, NGOs, and government policy positions at a local, national or international level.
If you study the correct combination of units, you’ll be eligible for membership of the professional organisation for chemists, and the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Students enrolling in units that have a practical component must make allowance for on-campus attendance to complete the practical work. The on-campus sessions for external students are generally held in a one-week block for each unit; the dates are published in each unit guide.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.