New technological developments are driving radical change and growth in many industries. Organisations of all kinds depend on the design, implementation and management of their business information systems to take advantage of opportunities and find creative solutions.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Organisations rely on effective information systems to provide the right information, at the right time, in order to improve decision-making and productivity. Information and communications technologies are increasingly looked for innovative ways of influencing decisions, supporting customers and finding a competitive advantage.
In this degree, you’ll learn how information is generated, communicated, stored and applied to a range of business activities. You’ll gain the skills and knowledge needed to apply technical solutions to business problems, in addition to an understanding of information systems design, management and development.
You’ll also develop project management, research, oral and written communication skills, ensuring you’re ready to enter the job market.
In the final year of your degree, you’ll take part in a professional practice project unit. This will include working in a team with other students and consulting with real clients to recommend, develop and implement new technologies to solve business problems.
10 reasons to study Business Information Systems at Murdoch
- Study at the only university in WA ranked as world standard by the ERA* in the field of Networking and Mobile Technologies.
*Source: ERA 2018
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Skills Development in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch has received a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for Learner Engagement in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Take on real-world clients with project based units.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program.
- Choose between seven specifically designed IT majors that you can combine into double majors to broaden your skills and career opportunities.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- systems analysis, design and development
- data communications
- information systems management
- business intelligence application development
- enterprise architectures.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Internetworking and Network Security
- Mobile and Web Application Development.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Business Information Systems, you’ll be prepared for a diverse range of career opportunities across information and technology sectors.
Careers could include:
- Business Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Project Manager
- Business Consultant.
This course is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society (ACS).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
There may be a reduction in choice of units if completing this course in the external mode. Individual units may require access to specific nominated software.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.