Do you want to combine science with your concern for animal welfare? Focusing on domestic animals, production animals, and wildlife, you’ll learn how technology is being used to address the latest issues in animal health.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Explore the latest issues, technology and opportunities in the field of animal health, with a strong focus on the condition and well-being of domestic animals, production animals and wildlife.
Develop the kind of teamwork, problem-solving and communication skills that are in high demand with employers and be taught by some of Australia’s leading animal health experts. Murdoch University is the only city-based university in Australia with an animal production property, so you’ll have easy access to animals for your practical sessions.
If you’d like to study Animal Health as a pathway to apply to study Veterinary Science, we recommend studying a double major which includes Animal Health and Animal Science.
6 reasons to study Animal Health at Murdoch
- Five-star rating for skills development for Veterinary Science.
Source: Good Universities Guide 2020
- Murdoch University is the only city-based university in Australia with an animal production property. This means you’ll have easy access to large animals such as sheep and cows for your practical sessions.
- Learn from some of Australia’s leading animal health experts.
- Have opportunities for direct interactions with growers and industry experts in Australia’s diverse farming industries.
- Get practical knowledge in applications of genomic and molecular technologies for improving animal health.
- Opportunities to further your career development through research linked to national and international research projects.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- comparative mammalian biochemistry
- principles of infectious disease – veterinary microbiology
- animal structure and function
- pathology and diseases of production animals
- genetic engineering.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
Your future career
A major in Animal Health will give you opportunities to pursue a career in a wide range of fields, including agriculture, companion animal industries and wildlife management.
Careers could include:
- Biosecurity and Quarantine Officer
- Farm Manager
- Genetic Technologies Consultant
- Research Scientist
- Livestock Manager.
You could work in the private sector in agriculture or environmental consultancy, government agencies, non-government organisations, or research and development institutions to help solve animal health issues across the world.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.