Do you love the idea of balance, business and working with numbers? Learn how to solve problems, negotiate and become a trusted and respected decision-maker in any industry.
- Full-time or part-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Full-time or part-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Accounting is essential to every industry – from your favourite products and platforms to your favourite sports teams and causes. This degree will give you the professional and creative skills you need to shape business interactions in a creative, well-informed and ethical way.
You’ll learn to identify business opportunities, analyse problems and put solutions in place. You’ll explore how to make decisions related to buying and selling shares, lending or borrowing money, and providing goods for cash or on credit.
You’ll also learn to interpret accounting standards, auditing standards and Australian taxation acts, as you gain new skills in financial statement analysis, forecasting and budgeting, negotiation, ethical decision-making and problem-solving.
8 reasons to study Accounting
- Get qualified for a career where your skills will always be in demand regardless of what the economy is doing. There is a strong growth outlook for accountants in the future.
Source: Australian Government’s Department of Jobs of Small Business 2018, Australian Jobs 2018
- Work with real organisations on real projects, and complete internships through our work integrated learning program. Some of our students have interned with local governments, Myer and RAC Arena.
- Have access to the tools you’ll use in the real world. You’ll get hands on experience using a practical software package that will help you practice bookkeeping and learn how to prepare taxation.
- Solve real business problems and experience the many perspectives you’ll find in the workplace as you work with other commerce students who are specialising in other areas.
- Combine your degree or take on a double major in another area to expand your career prospects even further. You could choose to double major in Global Business and Politics to get insights into both the business and political world. This option is only available in a Bachelor of Commerce – and only at Murdoch.
- You might be eligible for our MasterClass program, where you could complete a postgraduate qualification while studying your undergraduate degree. We are the only Australian university to offer this opportunity.
- Combine your degree or take on a double major in another discipline to expand your career prospects even further, without adding time to your degree.
- Prepare to work for any organisation – or for yourself – as you learn to identify business opportunities, analyse problems and implement solutions that stretch across all industries.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- Management accounting
- Technology and accounting processes
- Corporate finance
- Company law
Your future career
This degree could be your first step towards becoming a high-level manager, leader, executive or entrepreneur. You could work with professional accounting firms, in government departments, major or emerging brands or in not-for-profit organisations in roles such as:
- Accountant including Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
- Auditor or Bookkeeper
- Financial Analyst or Planner
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Credit Manager
According to the Australian Government’s Department of Jobs of Small Business 2018, Australian Jobs 2018, the number of opportunities for accountants and related roles is expected to grow in the next five years.
Many of our students go on to become graduate accountants at one of the Big 4 firms (EY, PWC, Deloitte and KPMG)
Other recent graduates have been accepted into graduate programs at large oil, gas and mining companies.
Recommended double majors
Recommended combined degrees
When you graduate, you can apply to be a member of the professional accounting bodies, including Associate membership of CPA Australia, direct entry into the Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand CA Programme (CA ANZ) and Associate membership of the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). Our degree is accredited by CPA.
For more details about this course, please download our information pack.
- Perth campus and external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- School of Business and Governance
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.
- Completed official Academic Transcripts and Certificates of Completion
- ATAR results
- STAT Test results