Explore the world of theatre and performance, and specialise in the areas of acting, production, lighting, stage management or design.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
In this course, the stage will be your world as you explore a range of important theatrical, performative and dramatic texts. These works will challenge you to hone your skills in acting, writing, production and design.
You’ll learn how dramatic texts and performances function in a range of different historical, social and cultural contexts. There will be numerous opportunities for you to develop your skills, both on and off stage, in a diverse range of performance modes and styles. And you’ll develop the professionalism and the confidence to create and produce work for public performance.
You’ll work in the Nexus Theatre and Studio 411, our two on-campus teaching and performing venues. This professional theatre space also hosts community, musical, cultural and theatrical events, which will provide you with additional opportunities for work experience. You can create your own work under the guidance of mentors, practitioners and academics, and you can gain valuable experience through an internship.
The course seeks to equip you with a range of skills to enable you to be a versatile and innovative theatre artist.
6 reasons to study Theatre and Drama
- You will work in The Nexus Theatre, an on-campus teaching and performing venue. This professional theatre space also hosts community musical, cultural and theatrical events, which could give you extra opportunities for work experience.
- Gain work experience through our Work Integrated Learning program. Some of our students have interned with The Blue Room, Heath Ledger Theatre and WA Fringe Festival.
- You can create your own work under the guidance of mentors and academics, with the opportunity to learn through a range of extra-curricular training workshops. You can also have your own writing produced through our energetic student theatre companies.
- Our theatre and drama studios (Nexus Theatre and Studio 411) are used by Fringe World and we often host events from all over WA here.
- Showcase your creative work through theatre festivals and competitions. Our students have had their writing published and won local and national theatre awards, such as the Robin Helpmann Award, and Perth Fringe Festival and Blue Room awards. They have acted in movies, television and theatre, are writing for Black Swan and starring for the Sydney Theatre Company.
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects. Or combine your Theatre and Drama course with a degree in Law and use your performance and oral skills to win legal cases.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- acting and producing for the stage
- acting and performance
- theatre and society
- making contemporary theatre
- writing for performance.
Your future career
When you graduate you could work in the television or film industry, teach Drama or explore roles in the entertainment industry, theatre or events management or in the creative arts.
Careers could include:
- Actor or Performance Artist
- Director or Producer
- Script Writer
- Stage Manager or Theatre Technician
- Theatre Arts Administrator.
Recommended double majors
Recommended combined degrees
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus (some units external)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
A Working with Children Check may be required for some practical components. There may be a reduction of choice of units if completing this course in the external mode.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.