Learn how to turn your passion for sustainability into a rewarding career where you can make a difference within communities and regions, in Australia and overseas.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
The future is uncertain and there’s no doubt that a growing number of businesses, organisations and government bodies across the world are looking for ways to use resources wisely, put new technology to use, and help to create a more sustainable future.
In this course you’ll learn about the world’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how to uphold them. You’ll develop expertise to work with communities in finding solutions to urgent sustainability issues including climate change, reducing waste, and protecting biodiversity. You’ll gain the critical thinking, communication and hands-on skills you need to shape the future and to be an asset to any organisation.
This is a rapidly expanding field – and you can give yourself a competitive edge by combining your Sustainable Development major with another discipline, such as Community Development, Tourism and Events or International Aid and Development.
6 reasons to study Sustainable Development at Murdoch
- Study a course with a great reputation, responsible for training sustainability professionals and change agents since 2000.
- Join our dynamic community of students, graduates and experts committed to making a difference on a local, national and global scale.
- Travel to Indonesia for a semester as part of the Study Indonesia Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) program.
- Take on sustainability volunteering within Australia or overseas which will count towards your academic credits.
- Work with local and international organisations on real projects as part of our work integrated learning program.
- Expand your skill set and boost your career prospects with a double major.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- overseas aid and international development
- global and regional sustainability
- sustainable tourism
- sustainable urban communities
- resilient regions: sustainability in practice.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Community Development
- Tourism and Events
- International Aid and Development
- Conservation and Wildlife Biology
- Environmental Management and Sustainability.
Your future career
When you graduate with a degree in Sustainable Development, you could pursue a range of careers with state and federal government agencies, non-governmental organisations (known as NGOs) or businesses.
Careers could include:
- Sustainable Development or Environmental Officer
- Community Development Officer
- Eco-preneur (starting green businesses)
- Sustainability Educator
- Sustainability Consultant.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.