Turn your love of sport into a career. Develop your skills and knowledge in exercise physiology, biomechanics, motor control and sport and exercise psychology.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Are you a believer in the saying “use it or lose it”? Put that to work as you learn how to prescribe exercise to improve the movement of both athletes and the general population.
With your interest in sport, exercise and health, this major gives you the opportunity to obtain the knowledge and skills required to pursue a career in those fields. With an increasing focus on the importance of healthy, active lifestyles, exercise science continues to be a growing discipline within Australia and around the world.
You will become experienced in prescribing exercise, as well as assessing and improving the movement of both athletes the general population.
6 reasons to study Sport and Exercise Science at Murdoch
- The discipline of Exercise Science at Murdoch University is ranked in the top 100 in the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Sport Science Schools and Departments (2017–2018).
- Learn practical skills in purpose built state-of-the-art facilities including an exercise physiology laboratory complete with a climate and altitude chamber, a rehabilitation, strength and conditioning laboratory, and a performance laboratory with a motion capture system and 50-metre running track.
- Put your knowledge and skills to the test in your third year through an industry placement. You’ll have the chance to gain experience in a range of settings from community gymnasiums to professional sporting teams.
- Benefit from Murdoch’s partnership with the WACA and learn from academics who are actively researching professional sports.
- With further study you could end up working with professional athletes, help people recover from trauma through exercise, or improve functionality for older adults or people with health conditions.
- Take your degree global and work overseas when you graduate, with research and work opportunities available in many countries around the world.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- the research behind sport and exercise science
- sports psychology
- functional human anatomy and biomechanics
- measurement and manipulation of exercise motor skills
- exercise programming and prescription, and rehabilitation.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science + Graduate Diploma in Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
Your future career
Pursue a variety of roles in sports academies, institutes of sports, university sport science labs and professional and amateur sporting clubs.
Careers could include:
- Sports or Exercise Scientist
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Sport and Recreation Officer
- Sports Development Officer
- Community Education Officer.
You could work in a range of industries including the private sector, universities, and government institutions.
On graduation, you will be able to register with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) as an Exercise Scientist, and be able to apply for entry into the Graduate Diploma in Clinical Exercise Physiology to become an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.